Chapter 44

-Sasuke's POV-

She's drunk.

Don't do it. Don't say it.

Don't tell her how you feel now because she might not be able to comprehend it.

Taking a strengthening, deep breath, I returned to sit next to her, handing over her glass before pretending to focus on the video game on screen. It'd be hard to miss her uncharacteristically tossing back half of her drink even if I wasn't acutely attuned to her every action, though.

Then she noticed me sneaking a glance and just by the look on her flushed face I could tell she was about to start talking. Every time she drinks, once her mouth starts moving it doesn't stop, quite the opposite of how she is at all other times. I stopped her before she could begin, but she insisted.

Then she apologized. The guilt in her tone left a bad taste in my mouth and I tried to get a question in, but to my surprise she cut me off and kept going still.

"I like you as more than a f-friend." Drunk and practically slurring her words, she confessed.

Time seemed to stand still for a long moment as I stared at her with wide eyes, utterly stunned. Never in a million years did I think she'd be the one to say it first, not Hinata. Her lips began moving again, pulling me from my surprised daze. The moment she said the words "interview" and "Haku", all the unease and anxiety I've felt toward her this past week disappeared, only to be replaced with overwhelming relief.

By the way she's been acting towards me lately, I've begun to think everything I did with her since Christmas was a giant mistake. I thought I scared her away. Now that I know the issue was with herself and not me, there's no reason I can't do what I want. She even said she likes me, so why not?

I cut off her stuttering and kissed her. The moment her soft lips touched mine, the tipsy haze half-lifted and I pulled away, facing the television again as I cursed myself inwardly.

Damn it! I shouldn't have done that! Neither of us are completely sober and she's likely to get the wrong idea. What if she thinks I'm trying to take advantage of the fact she's been drinking? I don't want that.

Hell, even if I could possibly fathom the idea of her sleeping with me at this point, I'd never want us to be drunk the first time. That's just disrespectful.

Other than the obvious issue, that she's a virgin, I can't let myself treat her like any of the women I've been involved with in my entire life. I can't fall back on my usual approach or habits because she's not just a random fling. This is Hinata. The last thing I want to do is hurt her. That's why I haven't jumped off the edge and acted brazenly with her yet. If I make one wrong move, just a single mistake, everything can and likely will be ruined. What if I-

The sound of her saying my name in a voice I've never heard snapped me from my panicked thoughts and I turned my head to give her my attention, only for those soft lips to press against mine again. A jolt of disbelief came over me, but I quickly got over it and responded, moving her more comfortably in between my legs.

If I'm being honest, I'm kind of disappointed I didn't get a better look at her face before she went for it because I'd love to see her eyes. What do they look like right now, I wonder? They've been bright with emotion all night long, but which one would they portray if she opened them for me to see?

Hinata...she's actually a really good kisser. That's yet another surprise. Maybe I've been underestimating her all this time.

I didn't dare move until she seemed to relax a bit and moved her hands down from my face. Carefully, I tested the waters and slowly moved my hands under her shirt to feel the hot and soft skin of her hips.