Chapter 30

THE NIGHT OF THE PARTY

-GAARA'S POV-

It took everything in me not to cringe when Sasori kissed Sakura right in front of us all. Instead, I forced myself to look away.

Something about him seems off and I don't think it's just because I'm jealous he gets to be so close to the girl I like, but I also don't know what it is. The only thing keeping my anxiety about it in check was the fact that Tenten was the one who introduced them and I know she'd never knowingly put Sakura in a bad situation.

She and Ino tore her away from him and the three of them joined the group of strangers dancing nearby in the living room area. An awkward aura fell over her boyfriend and me as we were left alone for the first time. I grit my teeth and turned to pour myself a drink only to notice he was looking at me and met his gaze.

He didn't say anything, but I could sense he was considering threatening me to watch myself around his girlfriend. Before he managed to, a tall guy with silvery-blonde hair and purple eyes came over to pour himself a drink. I returned my attention to my own cup and did the same, feeling even more awkward now that a stranger was standing between us.

The tall new arrival turned to stand with his back to the table at the same time as me and gave us both a big grin, "Lots to choose from here, huh boys?" Sasori gave him a nonchalant shrug and kept his dull gaze on the people dancing, but I chose not to respond and took a drink instead.

I felt them both look at me suddenly and wordlessly gave them a look of acknowledgement, raising my glass slightly before taking another drink. If I have to play along with their odd way of male-bonding in order to keep the peace, then I will.

Out of nowhere, I got a better look at the newcomer's face and froze mid-sip. Something about him was incredibly familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on where I'd seen him before. When he noticed me looking at him, he grabbed my free hand and shook it, "The name's Hidan, bro. I'm in Akatsuki. Looks like we'll be working together soon, huh?"

I nodded, "Gaara. Nice to meet you." Hidan was being friendly so there wasn't any reason to be rude to him, especially if we're supposed to go on a tour together next year. It'd be extremely awkward if one or more of us don't get along.

"Where's the other chick in your group? The Hyuuga girl. She's hot as hell. Do you think she'll put out? I'd go for the pink one, but Sasori here'd kick my ass."

My eyes darted over to the man he'd referenced, expecting him to say something to his so-called friend for talking about Sakura and Hinata that way, but he just rolled his eyes and continued to sip his drink. I opened my mouth to say something myself, only for the girls, Sasuke, and Aiko (his current fling) to return to the table.

"Shots! Let's take shots!" Ino flung an arm around my and Hidan's shoulders, cheering Tenten on as she began pouring them.

The Akatsuki member pulled his phone out and I noticed a woman was calling him by the photo on the caller ID, but he declined it and put the device back in his pocket before accepting a shot glass from Ino who'd begun passing them out. I begrudgingly accepted one and shot it back with a frown.

Sasori kissed Sakura again and I intended to avert my gaze like before, only to notice he was staring at me while he did it, like it was his intention to taunt me. The move succeeded in bringing anger into my blood and I clenched my teeth together before forcefully removing my gaze from their direction.

I don't like him at all.

An hour or so passed and the party was still in full swing. Somehow I'd managed to milk that one drink so Tenten and Ino didn't try to get me drunk, but it was still incredibly hot in that dorm so I went downstairs with the intention of using the back entrance to step outside for a few minutes. Just as my hand reached for the door handle, I heard Hidan's voice come from the other side. He was obviously talking to someone on the phone.