Chapter 49

-Hinata's POV-

The familiar buzzer sounded through the speakers, signaling for us to go inside. The moment I passed through the door, the distinct scent of fog machines met my nose and I squinted to try and see in the incredibly dark hallway. There was almost no light at all, just enough that I could safely make my way around.

Tentatively, I made my feet move, one step and then another and then repeat until the long hallway came to a "T" with a dull green light providing a bit more vision than before. The moment I got close to the turn off, though, a woman dressed as an incredibly realistic zombie shot out from around the corner and grabbed my arm.

I screamed, tears in my eyes, as she pretended like she was about to bite into my skin. I shakily yanked my limb out of her grasp and then she turned and flitted off down the left hallway to find her next victim.

Despite my very best attempts to keep it together, as I continued through the challenge every single jumpscare pulled a strong reaction from me. Every part of me was trembling in fright as I tiptoed around each corner. Somewhere between ten and fifteen minutes after entering the haunted house, I began to worry I'll never find my way out because I haven't even ran into a single other contestant.

As though the thought conjured them up, I suddenly caught sight of someone's back in the distance, just barely visible with the low green lighting. My steps quickened slightly as a glimmer of hope rose in my chest, only for creepy wooden hands to start shooting out of the walls and floor.

A small sound of shock slipped past my lips as I tripped, but whoever it was managed to catch me before I could tumble to the floor. Shaking like a leaf, I looked up to see it was none other than Sasuke himself.

An amused smirk tugged at his lips as I wiped at my tears with a red face, "T-T-Thank you!"

He chuckled, jokingly nudging one of the wooden hands poking up from the floor with his foot, "How did I know you'd be like this?"

Wordlessly joining ranks, we continued down the hall. Each time something came to scare us, my grip on his arm would tighten and then I'd apologize while trying not to cry. Somehow he seemed completely unfazed by any of it. Lord, how I wish I had his ability to keep a cool facade.

Maybe five minutes later, someone suddenly grabbed my waist from behind, pulling a shrill scream from my lips as I whipped around. Tears ran down my cheeks as I realized it was Hidan standing there, laughing loudly.

"D-Don't touch me!" Not only was I too jumpy for anyone to approach me like that right now, but the thought of him being anywhere near me makes me want to be sick.

The man pretended to wipe a tear as he sobered up and grinned widely, "On edge, are we?" His bright eyes almost seemed to glow as he wordlessly mocked my inability to come clean to Sasuke about what happened between us at that party.

Sasuke didn't say anything, but grabbed my wrist and started to turn so we could continue our way down the hall, but Hidan stopped him, "I keep finding you two alone together. It's a little suspicious, don't you think?"

I made a shushing motion with my free hand and tried to find the words to make him shut up. There aren't many cameras in here, Yamato said that, but we don't know if there's one around here. Talking like that was risky.

Sasuke turned his body to face the Akatsuki member more fully, "What're you trying to say?"

Hidan laughed, "If someone other than me were to see you, they might get the wrong idea."

Finally gathering the strength, I hissed at him, "Please stop, Hidan!" Both of them looked at me and I felt obligated to release my hold on Sasuke's arm, glancing around nervously to see if any of the actors were hiding nearby eavesdropping, "L-Let's just get through this challenge so we-"