Chapter 32

-Hinata's POV-

By the time Sakura and I stepped out of the bathroom, the excitement of the ball had picked up by a longshot. It was likely due to the steady flow of alcohol and the DJ slowly beginning to add faster music into the song-mix.

The moment we stepped out into the hallway, it became clear that the speakers had been turned up to their maximum volume. Almost everyone was out on the dance floor leaving a few stragglers to remain seated. Sakura clutched my hand in hers more tightly as she guided us to the table, only for us to arrive and find it completely empty. No one was there.

We shared a worried look before turning our gazes onto the bustling crowd of celebrities. I joined in her searching and caught just a glimpse of familiar blood red hair in the middle of the dance floor. She immediately followed my lead when I began heading in Gaara's direction. It took a few minutes since we had to dip and dodge drunk dancers, but we eventually made it to him only to freeze in shock.

Our bandmate was dancing with a brunette woman and they were, um, heatedly making out. Gaara's back was turned, so he didn't notice us and Sakura and I shared a surprised look before wordlessly agreeing we should back off. It was rare to hear the redhead talk about romance or sex since he's so reserved so it was hard to believe our eyes. We'd even begun to think maybe he hadn't had his first kiss yet, but boy had we apparently been wrong. There wasn't an ounce of hesitation in the way he was kissing that girl out there. He seemed confident.

Before I could turn to give our friend some space, someone touched the bare skin of my lower back and I jumped in fear, only to bring a hand to my heart when I turned to see it was Sasuke. My surprise quickly faded when Sakura grabbed his wrist and began pulling both him and me back to the table.

The moment we sat down, our waiter brought new drinks and we accepted them, albeit hesitantly. Hidan was still sitting up at the bar, where the man had come from.

"What's up with you two?"

I wanted to glare at him and tell him it was none of his business after he was a jerk to me earlier, but couldn't bring myself to be angry. Instead, I was just hurt by his mean words. Sakura quickly filled him in like she had me in the bathroom and then he sat back in his seat with an even angrier expression than before.

His voice was almost scary as he complained under his breath, "I wish shit like this would quit fucking happening."

The Uchiha was in such a foul mood today. My gaze shot down to my trembling hands when he glanced my way after noticing my staring. His sudden angry outbursts were making me uncomfortable and I didn't know what to do or say.

Sakura did, though, "Amen to that!"

We sat in silence for a while and sipped our drinks. There wasn't even a slight salty taste to the drinks, meaning they more than likely didn't have any unwanted substances in them. About ten minutes passed before the pink-haired woman on my left perked up, "Oh, I see Sasori! I'll be right back." Sasuke and I couldn't get a word out before she rushed into the crowd toward her boyfriend so she could confront him for lying to her.

I swirled the drink in my glass around and awkwardly tried not to glance in the Uchiha man's direction, but felt him glance in my direction. The alcohol was starting to hit me just slightly and I could tell my anxious jitters were soon going to fade. He didn't look away and I closed my eyes to take a strengthening breath before opening them and meeting his gaze head on.

Dark eyes searched mine in silence for what was probably just a few moments, but it felt like a long time. His scent met my nose like it had earlier and my lips parted slightly as my brow furrowed. Right now I should be upset with him for how he treated me earlier, but my entire body wanted to get in closer proximity with his.