Chapter 9

The staleness of the air alerted me of the fact that I was in a hospital before I even opened my eyes. I layed there with my eyes closed for a while, letting the memory of the events that led me to this hospital bed return. My head felt a little hazy and there was a dull ache thumping through it every few moments, probably a result of it being smacked against the linoleum not once, but twice.

Suigetsu was finally caught, and by big names as well. No one in their right mind would go against the likes of Tenten, Ino, and Sasuke in court. Just their names alone would be enough for the public to believe the truth. Not only that, but my phone has dozens of text messages from him, proving his harassment.

"How bad is it?" It was Tenten's voice, softer than I've ever heard it. She must've been under the impression I was still asleep.

To my surprise, Kakashi's raspy voice replied, "Her father's threatening legal action."

Utter shock had my eyes shooting open as I tried to sit up, "W-what!"

A flash of pink crossed my vision and I was suddenly thrown back against my pillow. Sakura tackled me into a tight hug and spoke as if she were close to tears, "Oh Hinata! I'm so happy you're alright!" I struggled to hug her back as my limbs felt heavier than usual, probably due to whatever medication the hospital had flowing through my IV.

Neji and Kakashi were both on their feet near the doorway of my room, while Tenten stood alert beside the chair Sakura had leapt out of. Once Sakura was satisfied she'd expressed her relief thoroughly, she unwrapped herself from me and sat back in her uncomfortable looking chair.

I recognized the wallpaper in the room and knew exactly where I was. The Inuzuka Hospital was owned by the prestigious Inuzuka family. They weren't business partners with my family, but the Hyuga's liked to keep good company. One of the current CEO's children, named Kiba, was a couple years older than me and the two of us were well acquainted. I'd never met an Inuzuka family member that wasn't going to school with a medical major or already graduated with one. They all seemed positively obsessed with health and evolution.

Anyway, I'd been sent here for years after my mother's death for testing. Father doesn't believe in things like anxiety and depression disorders and insisted the doctors find the cause of my "unfortunate condition". Looking back, that was probably a large factor in why I haven't been able to come out of my shell until now, since I've moved out of that stifling household.

They all looked at one another before Neji stepped forward. His eyes were weary, as if he was stressed, "How're you feeling, Hinata?" I sighed and moved to sit up more steadily in my bed.

After glancing around the room again, I felt slightly disappointed that Gaara and Sasuke weren't here. Of course we'd all just met only a few days ago, but I already considered the two young men to be my friends. As I frowned at the sting of rejection, I realized I maybe shouldn't have made assumptions. Both of them had come to my rescue and the uncharacteristic expression on Sasuke's face when he picked me made me jump to a conclusion too quickly. Perhaps they did it out of obligation.

I nodded to Neji, forcing a smile, "I'm alright, t-thank you. What was-" I looked over at Kakashi and trailed off nervously.

He gave me a sheepish smile before lightly patting the edge of my bed, "I apologize for my negligence, Hinata. No one was available to help you when you needed it and I take full responsibility for the lapse in our security. Your health and safety is of utmost importance."

I shook my head, "I-It's no one's fault but S-Suigetsu's."

The CEO gave me an understanding smile, "I appreciate your reassurance. However, there's another issue."