Chapter Eight

Caroline jumped as someone knocked on her bedroom door.

She had a pretty uneventful time the day before. Klaus was obviously busy, so she enjoyed herself in the library before going to bed early.

Henrik had also been missing for almost two days. And Caroline was glad that she had some time away from any of the Mikaelsons.

Now, she feared that beautiful quiet time had already come to an end as she made her way to open the door.

When she opened it however, there was no sign of Klaus like she had expected.

Instead, there was a boy holding a tray with food, blood and a small vial of vervain. He looked about her age and smiled shyly at her.

"Room service." He jokingly told her.

Caroline took the tray from his hands and gestured for him to come inside.

"Thank you. I was just about to go down to the kitchen myself." Caroline told him.

"Well, get used to it. Klaus told me to bring you breakfast everyday." he told her as he sat down beside her.

"I don't know if I should be happy about it or not." Caroline said.

"I am. It's better than running around, looking for packs" he shrugged. "Oh, and I'm Josh, by the way." He held out his hand and Caroline took it smiling.

"I'm Caroline." Josh laughed.

"I know. I'm on Caroline duty, after all."

Caroline rolled her eyes. Of course Klaus would assign one of his hybrids for protection. It meant protecting himself after all.

But having one of his hybrids as her servant was something she didn't like. At all.

"Josh, I don't want to be rude or anything, but I don't feel comfortable with you brining me my food like some kind of butler. I'll get it myself." Caroline explained, but Josh only laughed.

"He told me you would be saying something like that. But here's the thing: Klaus told me to keep you upstairs. So, I can't really let you go to the kitchen yourself. Sorry." Caroline groaned.

"And why am I not allowed downstairs?" She inquired.

Josh only shrugged.

"Dunno. Maybe 'cause of all the new wolfs that will be coming, or something." Caroline nodded.

Being around wolfs made her feel uncomfortable. Tyler was different, of course. But Caroline didn't forget that she was held hostage by a pack of wolves once. The memories hunted her until this day.

Caroline took a good look at her new companion and couldn't help but notice that he was pretty good looking.

"So, why did Klaus choose you to be on Caroline duty." She asked curiously.

"I'm loyal. Unlike some of the others I'm actually happy I was turned. Being sired to him isn't half as bad, too. And not having to turn every full moon is great." Josh told her happily.