Chapter Twenty Nine

"Niklaus!" Elijah yelled, stopping his brother.

"What do you want, Elijah?" Klaus asked, not bothering to turn around and face his elder brother.

"What are you up to, Niklaus?" Elijah asked.

"I don't feel like explaining myself to you right now. Actually, your repeated attempts to aid my redemption have become somewhat tiring." Klaus said.

"What happened in New Orleans? You were happy before you left." Elijah stated.

"I realised that family means nothing. Not when you are powerful. So I'm casting you aside." Klaus answered coldly, finally turning around.

"Family is power, Niklaus." Elijah said.

"No, it's not. How can family mean power when it consists of a self-righteous man, a jester that will never grow into a man, a woman that after a thousand years still does not understand that love is a foolish human concept that does nothing but weaken you and a brother that's as fragile as any other human being." Klaus explained.

"I'm guessing the past has caught up to you and threats to all our lives were made?" Elijah concluded.

"Why would you think that?"

"You're not fooling me, Niklaus. You love your family, despite our faults. Most of all, never would you think or speak of Henrik so low. I'm guessing that someone threatened the lives of our family, making you push us away. Not because you want to. But because, once again, you think you are responsible for insuring our safety. But know this, brother: You are not alone. We will stand by your side and dispose of every threat to our family together. Always and forever." Elijah said.

Klaus laughed sarcastically. "How foolish you are brother. I assure you, I am simply bored with the concept of family. Never in a thousand years has family given me what I want, what I deserve. I'm leaving you behind. Not because of a threat. Simply because I want to."

"Once again, I am no fool. I've seen the change in you. The change initiated by Caroline and Henrik's rebirth." Elijah tried.

"Caroline means nothing to me. She and her friends were foolish, so I played with her. Now it's time to move on. You didn't honestly believe that my relationship with Caroline was anything but sexual?" Klaus answered.

A sharp intake of breath was heard from a small distance away, causing the originals to look at the source of the noise. Elijah saw Caroline leaning on a tree, supporting herself with one arm, the other around her stomach.

Klaus used the opportunity to once again flash away.

"Caroline, I'm sorry you had to hear this." Elijah apologised as he walked over to the young vampire. She looked pale, a small layer of sweat covering her forehead.

Before Elijah could ask her what was wrong, she began to empty her stomach.

"Caroline, have you been bitten by a wolf?" Elijah asked.

"No." Caroline sobbed once she was able to. "It's his fault. Everything is."

"Please, don't be too harsh with him. I'm sure there is something bigger going on." Elijah answered calmly.