Epilogue

Elijah roamed the streets of New Orleans in search for his brother. Of course, finding Klaus was not that hard a job when he left a trail of dead bodies behind. This killing spree only gave proof to Elijah's earlier assumption.

Something has happened that put his brother in quite the mood. A mood that made him, once again, push away everyone that tries to care about him, even love him.

Elijah's search came to a close in the Bayou, where he observed his brother who was currently sitting beneath a tree.

"Are you quite down following me yet, Elijah?" Klaus asked, his voice monotone.

"That depends. Are you done running away from your family yet, or do you require the death of more innocents to finally wake up and realise what you left behind in Mystic Falls?" Elijah asked calmly.

"Spare me. I am in no mood for another lecture." Klaus groaned.

"Then let's skip to the part of the conversation where you tell me what has transpired during your investigation in New Orleans, shall we?" Elijah proposed.

"There's no chance you'll let this go, is there?" Klaus asked, annoyed at his brother's persistence.

"Indeed." Elijah confirmed.

"I'm sure you remember Aurora." Klaus said matter of factly, as he got up from his sitting position. "Turns out she and her brother have come up with quite the scheme over the centuries."

Elijah eyed his brother cautiously. There were things in the past, things connected with Aurora, he was not proud of. Things, his brother had no idea about, at least that was what Elijah was hoping.

"To say they are not happy with either of us would be an understatement. Well, just imagine my surprise when Tristan approached me with a white oak stake. Of course, he did not attempt to use it on me. As it turns out, his sister is still foolishly in love with me." At this point Klaus gave out a dry laugh. "In love might be the wrong term. That woman is positively obsessed with me."

"How did they acquire the stake?" Elijah asked worried.

"Apparently, they were traveling through Europe and just happened to stumble over some white oak. They took the small tree down and in the process, created god knows how many stakes. You see, taking this one from them, even killing them, won't suffice. Tristan made sure I understood that if I failed to do as he said, he'd prove his power by taking down one of my siblings." Klaus explained.

"He wants to control you." Elijah stated.

"Control me, use my blood to have the cure for a wolf bite should he or his sister be in need of it, create hybrids for him to command and entertaining his sister all at once." Klaus said through gritted teeth.

"If all of that is true, why didn't you tell us what happened? Asked for our help in taking them down and destroying the stakes they created?" Elijah asked.

"And put them into yet another fight for our lives? I wanted them to be happy now that Mikael is gone. To live a life without having to run for their lives every time the enemy caught up. While Kol and Rebekah might have gotten used to that kind of life, Henrik hasn't. He deserves to live a happy life. They don't know about him yet and I plan to keep it this way. I will not have his death on my hands again!" Klaus growled.