Chapter Fifteen

"Hello, boy."

Klaus felt his entire body tense up. Mikael had found him sooner that he had planned. His hybrid army wasn't strong enough yet. They lacked ability to fight properly. If anything, they'd be in his way now.

"Thinking about running again, aren't you?" Mikael provoked him.

The thought had crossed his mind. But there wasn't enough time to escape. Not with his siblings tucked away in coffins, rendered defenceless. Not with Caroline upstairs. No, fleeing brought up too many liabilities. Klaus knew he had to fight.

"You're not running." Mikael stated.

"I don't have to run any more." Klaus told him with confidence.

"You haven't changed at all, boy. You want to hide behind your playthings again, like the coward you truly are."

Klaus kept silent. How long has Mikael been watching him? He needed to think and come up with a strategy, fast.

"You are forgetting one thing. While they are sired to you, they can still be compelled." Mikael told him. "While you were gone, trying to break the spell, I have made sure to compel every hybrid you have ever created."

Klaus' eyes widened. Mikael seemed to be three steps ahead of him. That certainly explained the Salvatore's involvement. Damon must have found out about Mikael somehow, and he seemed to have told him about the spell that connected him to Caroline as well.

The room was filling with hybrids in the meantime. All facing Klaus, ready to fight him.

"Bring the girl." Mikael ordered.

Caroline was shoved roughly into Mikael's side. She looked scared and Klaus swallowed hard. Where was Joshua? He was supposed to keep her safe. Mikael surely hadn't compelled him. Or had he?

Klaus felt his blood run cold at Caroline's scared expression. She had tears in her eyes. Eyes that looked at him pleadingly. Then, to his surprise, Caroline spoke up.

"Please. The spell is broken. If you kill me, nothing will happen to him. I don't want to die." She pleaded with Mikael.

Mikael looked surprised at this new piece of information. He turned Caroline so that she faced him. His face changed and his vampire features appeared.

"A little test is in order." And with that he savagely tore into Caroline's neck. She released a pained scream.

"Stop it!" Klaus roared. He didn't feel her pain, but it still hurt him to see her being attacked like that.

Mikael dropped Caroline to the floor and looked at Klaus, inspecting his neck. True to the girls words, there was no wound.

"It's true, then. You care about that girl. You are pathetic." Mikael spat.

"No. I don't care about her." Klaus replied coldly. "I'm just sick of watching your little show. You accuse me of being a coward, while hiding behind my playthings."

Mikael chuckled, amused with Klaus' words.

"What do you intend to do about it?" He asked.