Chapter Seventeen

When Klaus came to again, it took him a few seconds to remember what had happened. But as soon as he did, he was livid.

"REBEKAH!" He yelled as he sprang to his feet.

She had gone too far. She had only been out of her coffin for a few hours but had already managed to make him furious again.

Klaus was pulled out of his rage when he heard something fall. When he turned around, it had been someone rather than something.

"Caroline, are you all right?" He asked worried as he flashed to her side and helped her up.

"All good. Why did you have to yell like that? You scared the crap out of me!" She snapped.

"Rebekah needs to be punished for her betrayal." He told her.

Betrayal? Oh, right. That bitch had snapped her neck. Again! Obviously, Davina had been telling the truth. If one's neck gets snapped, so does the other's.

"If I remember correctly, she attacked me, not you. So, if anyone is going to take their anger out on your sister, it's me." Caroline stated.

"Don't be foolish, love. You have nothing against her." Klaus said.

"You're awake again, I see." Elijah said as he entered the sitting room.

He had made sure his brother and Ms. Forbes were at least comfortable until they woke.

"Where is she?" Klaus demanded.

"I ask you to forgive our sister for her outburst earlier. You know she's quite temperamental." Elijah said calmly.

"That's no excuse, Elijah. I told you that Caroline was to be our guest of honour. Snapping her neck after attacking her verbally is not what I expected from any of you. Rebekah needs a lesson on how to behave herself." Klaus said, still furious.

"When exactly should she learn how to behave herself, then? Inside a coffin?" Elijah challenged.

"At least she can't annoy me from there." Klaus told him.

"Brother, please reconsider your intentions before acting on them. As you know, our sister has never been keen on being stuffed away like that. As she has never handled not being the centre of attention well. I'm sure it wasn't her intention to harm you." Caroline was amazed at the way Elijah kept his calm when face to face with a livid Klaus.

Also, she couldn't help but notice that Elijah sounded kinda like Klaus' conscience. She giggled inwardly at the picture in her mind. Klaus, a wooden boy and Elijah, the cricket on his shoulder.

"I want to talk to her." Caroline finally said.

Both brothers looked at her, stunned.

"Look, she attacked me. She didn't know it would harm you, too. Like I said before, if anyone is going to act, it should be me." Caroline explained.

She hated Rebekah, yes. But being at the receiving end of Klaus' anger must be horrible.

"Fine. Talk to her. But if she harms one hair on you, it's back to the coffin for Rebekah." Klaus announced.