Chapter Eighteen

Caroline took another deep breath, trying to calm her nerves.

It was strange, really. When did she start pursuing him instead of the other way around? How did she get from pushing him away to standing in front of his bedroom door in the middle of the night? Again.

Finally, gathering her courage, she knocked on his door. She didn't know what she had expected, but it certainly wasn't a shirtless Klaus.

Caroline gasped at the handsome man in front of her. He was wearing black sweatpants that hung dangerously low on his waist, his v-line clearly visible.

Her eyes wandered over his exposed torso, lingering shortly to admire his abs. She eyed the necklaces around his neck, wondering how it was possible for those simple items to increase her longing to touch him, grab those things and pull him closer to her.

Klaus' hair was stuck in every direction and a look of amusement plastered on his face.

Caroline bit her lip, realising that he must have seen the way she had shamelessly checked him out just now. Way to go, Caroline. Keep making a fool of yourself. She told herself.

"Good evening, love." Klaus said, his voice sounded low and tired.

"Hey." Caroline answered in a whisper, still not entirely over the view of his broad, naked chest.

"Do you want to come in?" Klaus asked, now back to being positively amused by the flustered young woman in front of him.

Caroline nodded, not trusting her voice yet.

Klaus moved aside, making room for her to enter his room.

"Have a seat, sweetheart." He told her, gesturing to the mantel in front of the fireplace.

They both sat down, not unlike the previous evening after Klaus had finally killed Mikael.

"So, do you mind telling me why you're knocking at my door in the middle of the night? Not that I'm complaining, of course." Klaus said, grinning.

"I couldn't sleep." She said, cursing inwardly at her incapability to focus on anything but the very naked chest next to her.

"Something is bothering you, then?" Klaus asked. He had noticed that Caroline kept glancing at his chest. He could always walk over to his wardrobe and pull on one of his shirts, but where would the fun in that be?

Klaus enjoyed the fact that, for once, Caroline seemed unable to tear her eyes from him.

"Yes. But I don't know why I came to you." She lied. "I should probably go back to bed."

Caroline got up and made her way to the door before Klaus grabbed her wrist. She turned around and furrowed her brows in confusion.

"Tell me, love. What's going on in that beautiful mind of yours?" Klaus' hand reached out to caress her cheek softly.

He wouldn't let her get away this easy.
Caroline closed her eyes, enjoying his touch.

"I don't know why, but somehow I feel this weird pull towards you." She explained.

Ever since New Orleans she had somehow felt drawn to him. Some part of her wanted to blame the stupid bond. But the rational part of her brain told her that this was not the case.