Chapter Twenty Eight

It has been 23 days since Klaus had left and Caroline had yet to hear from him. Unlike the times Tyler had left her alone, Caroline didn't bother calling or texting. After all, they were not engaged in an actual relationship, and she wanted to avoid being too clingy. Whatever caused him to pack his bags all of a sudden would be important, and he probably needed to focus on the task at hand.

Nevertheless, she missed him. Her days simply weren't the same without him around. Add the anxiety about telling him about her feelings, Caroline was a nervous wreck who rarely thought about anything but the original hybrid.

Like New Years eve, she had hoped he would show up in time for the countdown. Of course, he didn't but that didn't stop Caroline from looking for him all the time, expecting him to surprise her any second.

After the traumatic events of Esther, life had gone back to normal. At least relatively normal, as being a vampire kind of fell out of the entire 'normal life' mantra.

Caroline attended school again, trying to get her grades back up. Rebekah and Kol had joined her; Rebekah because she simply enjoyed the little human things, Kol, so he could try his luck with Bonnie during school hours, too.

Henrik stayed at home for now, learning everything the kids his age already knew from Elijah. Three times a week, Bonnie visited him to teach him about magic since the little Mikaelson had shown traces magic since he came back from the other side. Kol was excited about the prospect of having a witch in their family again and shared his wisdom with them both.

Right now, Caroline sat in her History class, practically blocking Alaric out completely. Rebekah would help her with any homework anyway, so Caroline didn't even try to keep her mind on the lesson.

When she did however, Ric was teaching the class about the Holocaust, explaining how innocent people were executed in Germany during World War II. Caroline felt her stomach turn and her mind go foggy. Confused, she got up and ran from the room, earning a lot of concerned and confused glances from the class.

Just when she had reached the bathroom, Caroline could feel her stomach about to empty itself. She barley made it to the sink before throwing up violently.

"What the bloody hell? Are you ok, Care?" Rebekah had run after the blonde, concerned about her strange behaviour.

"Does it look like I'm okay?" Caroline snapped back as soon as she felt it was safe to talk.

"No, you look like hell, actually." Rebekah remarked.

"Why, thanks!" Caroline replied sarcastically.

"Did you put your finger down your throat or something? Because I don't think it's normal for a vampire to randomly throw up." Rebekah asked.

"No, I didn't. It just happened. I probably had a bad bag of blood this morning, or something." Caroline thought out loud.

"Never heard about a vampire throwing up from bad blood." Rebekah mused.

"Well, any other clever idea?" Caroline asked, slightly annoyed.

"No. But you're probably right. These blood bags are disgusting anyway. I'm surprised I haven't thrown up because of them yet." Rebekah answered.

"I hope you won't. Because trust me, that was really uncomfortable and plain disgusting!" Caroline complained.

"How about we skip the rest of the day and head to the Grill? I was done for today anyway." Rebekah offered.