Chapter One

Klaus paced his studio trying to clear his mind from the night's events. Quietly he cursed the one person who made him feel so restless. Never in a thousand years had he felt so drawn to another being. Not even Tatia had made him feel so confused. So guilty.

Guilt, he thought to himself. That is an emotion he had not felt in centuries. An emotion he had solemnly sworn to himself to never feel again. It simply brought too much pain, memories he never wanted to relive again. And yet, here he was, not able to just shut that bloody guilt out.

Klaus went to grab himself a glass of scotch and sat down on the only sofa in the room. Taking a sip of his drink he tried to relax and closed his eyes. Again, the events came back to hunt him.

Klaus got out of his car and looked at the small house in front of him, a satisfied smirk across his face. So far his plan was working out the way he had expected it to. Now it was time to make sure the second phase of his plan came in motion.

He wanted a place to call home. A place that was safe for him and his family. A place where he could build and train his army.

Headquarters, he thought, was an adequate term. This little town in Virginia was the beginning of everything. He wanted it to be the beginning of the new era too.

It was time to make sure that no one crossed his plans. Not even these worthless little humans. That's why he found himself in front of the Sheriff's small house.

Earlier today he had told the little mutt, Tyler Lockwood, to bite his girlfriend, the Sheriff's daughter. He had put up a fight just like Klaus had expected him to. Normally Klaus would have killed him for even thinking about defying his orders. But given the fact that Tyler Lockwood was his first successful hybrid, he used the situation to test the sire bond. In the end he was not disappointed. Quite on the contrary, he was pleased to see that the little wolf has followed his orders, even if it was not by free will.

Shaking himself out of his thoughts he made his way to the front door.

He knocked on the glass door and shortly after the quarterback opened the door.

"Tyler came to see me. Poor boy. He seemed quite distressed. He said Caroline had a terrible accident?" He told Matt.

"You made him do this to her. He would have never done this to her."  The human glared at Klaus.

"I am here to help, Matt" Klaus said, trying to make his voice sound honest."My blood will heal her. Please ask the Sheriff to invite me inside."

Behind Matt he could see Liz making her way to the front door, too.

"I know how this game works. You want something in return." The Sheriff concluded.

Klaus shook his head. "Just your support." he told her.

After that he could actually see the Sheriff's walls crumbling. Good, he thought to himself. His plan was working out just fine. "Come in" Liz finally said in defeat.

Klaus crossed the threshold, giving Matt just the tiniest little smirk.

After that all he had to do was follow the smell of blood to Caroline's room.

He entered and stopped in front of her bed to look at her. She looked awful, drenched in sweat, but at the same time she was radiant light blinding him and his thoughts.

"Are you going to kill me?" Caroline asked in a voice so broken Klaus felt his throat tighten.

"On your Birthday? You really think that low of me?" He asked her, shocked at the emotion his own voice was betraying.