Chapter 44 - Once this is over

Chapter 44

Yaraoi wasn't the same. They barely stepped a foot into the roads and they instantly felt the heavy atmosphere that seemed to lure around the streets. It's not that the appearance changed, it was the mood of the people.

Everyone was tense, frowning, and eyeing each other with skepticism. Heroes were all around, scanning IDs and checking cars with the help of drones that he remembers seeing somewhere. Yaraoi looked more like a military base rather than a city.

Izuku gently grabbed his hand and guided him away from the scenery while having a sour look on his face. Even if this was a shitty thing to happen, it only meant they were winning. If Kurogiri raised the security this high, they weren't taken lightly.

Katsuki smirked, mentally accepting the challenge. He won't be beaten no matter what the heroes will throw at him. "Glad you could make it." His eyes rose from the pavement, landing on Momo who was, how would he put it, looking a lot different.

The few times he met her, she always dressed neatly, as her attire screamed fastidious. But today she didn't bother to look like someone trying to fit the definition of perfection.

It was the first time he saw her reveal this much. Her hair that was usually in a ponytail was now all slicked back except for a few locks that fell into her eyes. She was wearing makeup, the dark tones surrounding her eyes accompanied by the cherry red lipstick made her look badass. Not to mention her black dress that didn't hide anything.

Her eyes followed their movement carefully, the cigarette she was holding between her fingers falling from her grasp before being put out by her high heel. "Where will it be?" Katsuki didn't miss the frown she gave Keigo who was carelessly walking next to him.

"Hospital. We need to see someone first before making a move." Her eyes slid back to Izuku, leaving a long pause between the conversation. She was waiting for a signal. Katsuki realized it when Momo glanced at Uraraka's hands that didn't even budge.

Was it because of Keigo? He didn't have time to answer himself nor inspect anymore 'cause once the woman waved for them to come, Izuku was already making a move. Uraraka was the one who took Keigo with her, leaving him and Izuku alone in the seats further back.

It felt uneasy at first, neither of them not knowing how to start a conversation when the danger wasn't right behind their backs. Katsuki wasn't sure if he could handle a chat anyway. The closer they got to the hospital, the more his anxiety rose, talking to him would probably end in a fight.

But he will finally see Sero after a long time and god, they had a lot to talk about. He made a small list of things that Sero would need to know but the question was should he even say anything?

His friend was still recovering and being who he was, Sero would jump into the work immediately. Katsuki can't have Sero near him, not now when things are getting heated.

With a tired sigh, he let himself fall deeper into his seat, but the tension never quite left his shoulders. Every time they came to a red light or too close to the heroes checking the cars, his glare only deepened.

"Katsuki?"

He turned his head away from the window, giving Izuku a raised eyebrow. "It's…" Izuku bit his bottom lip as the man's hand slowly reached out for him. "What is it?"

After a long pause, Izuku decided to retreat, turning to the scenery outside instead of giving Katsuki an answer. "Never mind. It's nothing."

"You asshole."

Izuku snickered, playfully glancing back at him. Katsuki gave him a smirk of his own. "Want to play?" Izuku's eyes seemed to widen a bit. "Depends, what kind of game would you like to play." His smirk fell a bit. "Anything that can distract me from my thoughts."