29

There was a clear difference from the Liam I knew to the real one, but it wasn't necessarily bad. Still, it was hard to look at him and know that he wasn't the man I loved. It looked like him and almost sounded like him, but I fell in love with something that wasn't real. What this Liam failed to realize was that even being in the same room was more than I wanted. It hurt to know that I was more alone than I thought. I always knew it was weird that someone like him could want me. He was the definition of physical perfection and I was me, plain and boring me.

I didn't want to talk to Pierce or Liam so I opted to stay in the room. I didn't know what I expected from Liam. He was being as polite as possible, but I just couldn't do it. I knew it wasn't him that ruined my life. Not really, anyway. I knew I should be forgiving because it's what God would want me to do. I needed to get over myself and realize that he was just as affected by this as I was. He was trying to piece his life together just like I was and I was being rude about it. It was just difficult to be near him. I suppose I would have to get over that though. It was time I got some real answers from him regarding what I am. I never really got a breakdown of how to be a vampire which made sense now since it was a demon I interacted with.

I decided it was time to stop with the self pity and take responsibility for my actions. I wanted to apologize to Liam for my harsh words. He deserved that much from me.

I followed my senses out of the room and two doors down. I was certain Liam was in there, but I was having second thoughts. I didn't know why and I needed to push them aside. Even though he played with my emotions right at the end, I should have thanked him. He did it to keep me safe and I did appreciate that.

I knocked on his door lightly and waited. Within seconds he pulled the door open. I was caught off guard when I realized he wasn't wearing a shirt. The perfect planes of his bare torso were on display for me, but I had to realize that he would never be mine again.

"Are you busy?" I asked.

"No. Come in."

He moved to the side and allowed me to enter his room. It looked exactly like mine; it was quaint and mostly metal except for the bed, desk, and chairs that were bolted to the floor. I noticed a half empty bottle of something that looked like alcohol on the desk, but I wasn't going to question it.

"Do you want a drink?" He asked.

"I'm not old enough."

"How old are you?"

"Nineteen. Almost twenty." I forgot my birthday was only a month away. I suppose it didn't matter though. I wouldn't age so what did I care?

"You're old enough. After the month you've had, you deserve it."

I couldn't argue with that. Maybe it would be good to loosen up a bit, let a little steam off.

"Yeah, I guess. What is it?"

"Scotch."

"I've never had that."

"It's aged to near perfection."

I watched as he poured a little into a glass and handed it to me. It smelled strong and I knew I wouldn't like the taste, but I also wanted a few hours of relaxation.

"Have you ever had a drink?"

"Once," I mused. "Pierce gave me something at a party you had, but I didn't finish it."

"So let me get this straight," he said as he took his drink and sat on the bed. "You're almost twenty. You were kidnapped at eighteen, but you've never had a drink?"

I nodded. I wasn't sure where to sit or what to do so I stood by the desk and held my glass.

"Sit," he offered. I knew he meant next to him, but I didn't want to be that close to him.