The Lullaby

Sorry for the wait. I deleted a chapter and now I have to rewrite it. I'll give you a hint. Madeline almost calls McGonagall mom.

Minerva's Pov.

Madeline forgave me for the lie. I slid on the bed to keep her body calm as best as I could. Blood appeared on the side of her mouth; I took a handkerchief off her bedside table and wiped the blood away. After a minute, she started thrashing about. I waited for a moment then held her arms down.

An owl flew in the open window and landed on the floor. It transformed into a girl with blonde hair and blue eyes. She walked towards us. "Ohhhh, she's having another nightmare," she exclaimed. She leaned toward Madeline and whispered something in her ear. Madeline stopped thrashing and calmed down.

I had seen this girl somewhere before.... Hogwarts. "Elise?" I asked.

She snapped her head to look at me. "Professor McGonagall. You're...." Elise looked between the two of us and made a connection. "Oh! You're here for Madeline. Um, I'm not here. I'm... in my room." She made for the door.

"Elise, you live here?" I asked. I shifted Madeline to put her head in my lap and gently caressed her cheek.

She stopped them turned to face me. "Yep, I live wherever Mads goes. Oh, except during the school year. That when I go to Hogwarts, but now Maddie goes there so all is well again."

"Ok. So, not to be rude or anything, but what do you do?"

"Hmm?" she hummed.

"Madeline's rule: you have to earn what you get. What do you do?"

Elise giggled. "No. That's not Maddie's rule. That's one of her orphanages rules that she uses for herself. She doesn't make me do anything, but I still help her with her nightmares," she explained before leaving the room. I heard her squeak, "Professor Snape." Then I heard her run to her room.

I smiled and shook my head. I looked at Maddie who seemed to be having another nightmare; though she still wasn't thrashing. After a few more minutes, I couldn't watch. I closed my eyes and turned my head towards the door, unaware someone was in the doorway.

"You know, we could take shifts or something to watch over her," a feminine voice said. I opened my eyes to see Poppy. I felt Maddie shift in my arms. I nodded and place Madeline's head back on her pillow then stood. She turned from one side to the other then repeated the process. I walked toward Poppy. She laid a hand on my shoulder. "I'll go, then Madeline's friend, Dumbledore, Snape, then you again. I think it best not to have Madeline's friend right after it right before Snape for fear of seeing him," she added with a small smile. "We still don't know why we're here, though."

"I think... I think someone who knows what's going on with Maddie spelled us to get us here to help her. Maybe," I added.

"I think you're right."

I nodded and walked out. I went into a random room. It was filled with 3 different types of sewing machines, 3 wardrobes, 4 shelves, and 2 chests.

I went up to a wardrobe and it said, 'Complex Designs' in a golden like writing. I opened the wardrobe and see 5 of the most beautiful dresses one would ever see. There was a white dress with a light blue over skirt tulip design, and on the top it had dark blue column design. There was another that was a dark red dress and a black swirl design as the over skirt and a few black heart outlines on the top. All the dresses had the bottom extending as though to have something under the skirt.

I went to another wardrobe which said, 'Medium Designs' in a silver like writing. I opened it to see 5 beautiful dresses. The writing has been right. They weren't as detailed. One was a pink dress with a white top. Another was black with purple butterflies at the bottom hem. Some of the dresses had the bottom normal, and others extended to appear to have something under the skirt.