Not Trust Or Truth

Minerva's Pov.

We flooed her supplies into my quarters. We flooed back the Hogwarts and not a moment too soon. Just as we walked out, Madeline doubled over, looking like she was grasping at her chest. "Poppy!" I yelled. She looked like her knees were about to buckle, so I supported her.

Poppy barged through the doors. "What is...? Oh dear. I told you not to stay out too long!" she yelled at me. I shot her a look and she helped me get Madeline to the bed she had been staying in. Poppy ran into her office, brewed something up, and came back out. "Drink this," she commanded. Madeline did as she was told, still sitting up. "Now lie back." Madeline opened her mouth to object, but Poppy silenced her with a look. "You're about to get tired. Very tired."

Just as the words left Poppy's mouth, Madeline yawned, but didn't lay down. I put a hand on her shoulder. "Lay down, dear." Madeline didn't looked like she was going to argue, but like she was trying to figure out something. "What is it?" I asked.

"Will-will you stay with me?"

I smiled and nodded. Madeline laid down and instantly fell asleep. Her hair was down and got in her face when she put her head on the pillow. I pushed it back with my middle finger. I looked at Poppy who looked like she was contemplating. "What?" I asked.

She pushed her thoughts back and looked at. "Are you going to tell her? Who she is? Who you are to her?" she asked. She bit her bottom lip.

I watched Madeline unconsciously lean into my hand which was on the side of her head. "I don't know. I think she has a right to know, but she's still taking in the fact that she's a witch. Poppy, you should've seen her in Mr. Ollivander's Wand Shop.... Madeline was frightened of what she plus the wands could do. Of breaking anything. And her wand isn't going to make it any easier."

"What is her wand?"

"Veela hair and Willow wood."

"He actually gave that deadly combination to someone?"

"Yes. And that someone is my daughter."

"If that's the case... how powerful is Madeline?"

I shrugged, then looked at her. "I'll be right back," I told her.

"But you said you'd stay with her."

"I will. I have to fill out her paper work and get her old school grades though. I'm going to bring them back here," I explained. Poppy nodded telling me she would watch Madeline. I wondered, 'how much harm could being gone for a minute be?' ____________________________________________________________________

Madeline's Pov.

I feel asleep as soon as I touched the pillow.

At first, nothing. Then...

- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -

I was walking in a tunnel that I'd walked a million and one times if I didn't want to get hit, but I'd only go back and get beat by the mistress of the orphanage. McGonagall turned a corner and looked at me. A small smile appeared on my face. "McGonagall," I said.

I walked over and stood beside McGonagall. Then she walked away. I followed her, but she stopped and faced me. "Don't follow me. I've already left," she spat out.

I knew I looked taken aback. "You said you'd stay with me."

She laughed. "And you believed me?"

I nodded.

"Everyone you've ever known as left you: you're biological mother, your biological father, you're first family, Sebastian, and now me. When will you learn? You were born to be alone. No one is ever going to care about you or really ever stay. So get used to it."