Chapter 1

December 29, 2008

"Happy birthday Syd!!" Ross says with a huge smile on his face and wraps his arms around my body tightly.

"Thanks, happy birthday to you too." I say and give him a kiss on the cheek.

"I got you something." He says making me smile. "I got you something too." I give him the gift I had in my hand, it was a silver guitar pick bracelet.  

"I love this. Here is yours." He gives me a blue velvet box. when I opened it, it was a silver heart shaped locket. On the outside there was writing on it. it said R+S and on the back it said best friends forever. Inside was a picture of us from when he took me to the carnival and won me a bear a few months ago.

"Omg Ross I love it. thank you so much I'll never take it off." I say hugging him tightly.

"I'm glad you do." he smiles. "I have the same one so we never forget about each other."

"Why would we forget about each other?" I ask confused. "My family is moving to California and we might not ever see each other again." he says with a sad tone in his voice.

"What? No, you can't leave, your my best friend." I say as tears form in my eyes.

"I'm sorry syd. but I promise we'll keep in touch. okay?" He hugs me and I nod. "We leave in 3 days."

"I'll miss you." I say looking down at the locket that is around my neck. "I'll miss you too, come on let's have a good time. it's our last birthday together. I don't want you to be sad."

"You're right, let's go." I say pulling him to the yard.