Chapter 8

All of a sudden I was woken up from the sound of a door shutting. I was kind of a light sleeper when I went to sleep scared. At first, I was guessing it was just Michelle going to get some water, or my mom checking on Lana... But then the thought came to my mind. What if somebody came in through the balcony doors?

I got scared, which was a surprise for me, and decided to get up. I grabbed my phone, to use my flashlight and looked at the time. 3:06 a.m. So early. I then turned on my flashlight on my phone, and walked towards my door. I quietly opened it, and walked out of my room. Then I walked down the long hallway, and shined my light on the balcony door. It was cracked open.

I shined the flashlight all around me, looking to see if anyone was in the house. But I didn't see anybody. I then set my phone on the ground, and walked out onto the balcony, and still didn't see anybody. I saw a light on in a couple of the Beckham rooms, though. I'm guessing Luke was still up.

I decided I got worried for nothing, and the wind just probably opened my door. I turned around, and saw something that looked like a body figure. I was about to turn and scream when the figure grabbed me, and put there hand over my mouth.

"Don't scream Mackenzie." The familiar voice whispered to me.

I turned to see that it was...

"Brooklyn?" I mumbled into his hand. It sounded like just a bunch of mumbling but I think he got what I was saying. "What the hell are you doing?" I mumbled into his hand again.

"I can't understand you." He said, with his hand still over my mouth.

I smacked his hand off my mouth. And he pulled it back.

"Did you ever think of just removing your hand from my mouth so you can hear me?" I asked, being rude because it was 3 in the morning.

"I just thought you were going to scream." He said, scratching the back of his neck.

"Oh right." I said, and opened my mouth as if I was about to scream, which I was.

"Mackenzie don't!" He said.

"Why shouldn't I?" I asked.

"Because I'll get in so much trouble!" He said. "I'll do anything, I swear, as long as you don't scream! I swear I can explain if you listen!"

"Fine. How much money do you have in your pockets?" I asked.

He pulled out a large amount of money, I think it was about $200 dollars. I grabbed it out of his hand.

"I'm listening." I said, counting the money out.

"Okay, so I climbed up the balcony from the ground, because Luke, Romeo, and Cruz were going to come over here and take all of your stuff, and Michelle's then go and hide it. So like your laptop, and phone. So they said, that they would come through the balcony if it was unlocked. So I came to see if it was, and I was going to use this," he held up some sticky note looking thing. "To make sure the boys couldn't get into the house to take all your stuff, and in the morning, I would sneak over and remove it so that it was no longer shut."

"Okay. Okay, I understand. But how the heck is that sticky note looking thing going to keep my door shut from my little monster of a younger brother?" I asked.

"I'll show you." He said. Then he put the sticky note thing on the inside of the door, and shut it. Then the two doors were attached at the point of the sticky note thingy.

"Try it." He said.

I tried opening the door, and he was right, it didn't open, it was like it was locked.

"Well thank you." I said, smiling at him.

"You're welcome. And sorry for waking you up." He said, he looked like he felt guilty.

"It's fine. See you tomorrow or whenever." I said, as I walked towards the door. Then I tried to open it. But it didn't open.

"Oh my god. Brooklyn!" I said, he all of a sudden climbed back up whatever he was using to get to the ground and looked worried.

"What?" He asked.

"It's stuck. And now I can't get back in!" I said, getting frustrated, but still whispering.

"Oh." He said. He obviously didn't know what to do.

"Wait I think I have my phone." I said. "Nope. I left it in there when I came out here."

"Mines in my bedroom." He said. "We am can go get it, then you can call Michelle to let you in."

"Yeah, let's do that." I said, still frustrated and angry at Brooklyn.

We walked to the edge of the balcony, and looked down. I saw a rope that was attached to my balcony and went all the way down to the ground.

I turned and stared at Brooklyn.

"One question." I said.

"Anything." He smiled.

"So you have $200 dollars in your sweatpants at 3 am... But you can't buy a damn ladder or slide so that I don't have to climb a rope?" I asked.

"You act like you've never climbed a rope before!" He said.

"That's because I never have!" I said, I was so angry.

"It's easy. I'll go first, you watch me, then you can do it." He said, standing on the ledge of the balcony and grabbing the rope. Then he swung down, and started to make his way down the rope.

"Your turn." He said.

I looked down at the ground.

"That's a long drop." I said, very nervous and shaky.

"Don't worry, you'll be fine. And if you fall, I'll catch you." He said.

I trusted him when he said that, but I was still mad at him.

"Fine." I said, as I stood up on the ledge. The air was so cold, and it made me shiver. I was already shaking, and so nervous.

I grabbed the rope.

"Brooklyn.... Were 3 stories up. I'm going to die." I said, I was so scared.

"No you won't, I've got you." He said.

I held the rope, and swung down. I closed my eyes shut. I was so scared.

"Okay, now slowly climb down the rope." He said, from the ground as I was 3 stories up.

I slowly inched my way down the rope, until I got to 2 stories. My hands started to hurt from holding onto the rope.

As I made my way down to the first floor, I didn't think I could go any farther. My arms were getting very weak and I didn't think I could hold on any longer.

"Brooklyn." I said, shaking. "I'm going to fall."

"No your not, it's okay!" He said.

And as I tried to go down one more time, I fell.