055

May 30th, 1994
SEATTLE WASHINGTON

-

Everything had gone to nothing. I mean everything... me and Dave, Nirvana, Courtney and Kurt, Frances. Everything just sucked and nothing was going the way we planned. It was like I had to walk on eggshells around Dave, he would snap at the littlest thing. And with Charlie being almost 4 now... it made things even harder.

And Nirvana wasn't going anywhere. It was at its downfall I could tell. Ever since Kurt overdosed in Rome... everyone was becoming more depressed by the second. I hadn't heard from Kurt or Courtney in awhile. I had only Charlie to really talk to.

"So, Charlie. What should we do today?" I asked him as he sat on my lap.

"Park... or swimming?" He said back. He had just been learning to put sentences together and he was such a good talker, and such an early age.

"It's too cold for swimming, silly. But I can take us to the park? Sound good?" I asked him ruffling his hair.

"Yeah... when's daddy coming back?" Dave had been home from home for about 2 months and could be back any minute now honestly.

"Soon, baby. But let's go okay?" I said grabbing his shoes and slipping them on his feet. I then opened the front door and we both began walking hand in hand down to the playground below us. Charlie loved it there honestly and I didn't mind it much.

"Mommy! I need help with the monkey bars!" I heard him say. I've been doing this for years... holding his legs while he climbed the bars above him. And he looked so adorable and had so much fun doing it... and I loved watching him play. I absolutely loved it.

"I miss Daddy...." Charlie said dropping from the bars. I just frowned wondering how Charlie could miss his dad so much but I was sort of relived he was away. He's been a jerk these past couple months.

"I know you do, buddy." I said kneeling down beside him and giving him a hug... I felt bad that Charlie didn't see Dave as much as he'd like too. But there wasn't anything I could do.

"When's he coming back?" I heard his voice break a little bit when those words were said, and when I pulled away from the hug I saw that his eyes were turning red and he was on the verge of tears.

"I don't know. But, soon, Char. Don't cry, baby. It'll be okay." I whispered pulling him into another hug. I hated seeing my baby cry, especially over something I couldn't help with.

"I just wanna go home..." he started sadly. I nodded understandingly and began to pick him up and walk him home. He just kept his face hidden as some tears and sobs were let out. I wanted to cry myself...

"Why don't I make some Mac and Cheese, huh?" I asked placing him at the table. I saw him wipe his tears and nod with a little grin. So... I did as I said and began making Mac and Cheese for him. It was his favorite...

"Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down...."

"You're still on that Fresh Prince kick? You've watched that since birth basically." I said hearing the familiar theme song. And remembering how adorable Dave looked singing it to him when Charlie had just turned one.

"Yeah? It's a good show... he's gonna be on Oprah." Charlie said. It amazed me how young he was but was still able to follow shows and talk full sentences.. he was growing up to fast I swear.

"How do you know about Oprah?" I laughed pouring the Mac and Cheese into a bowl and placing it in front of him.

"I don't know." He shrugged taking a bite. Just then, I heard the door open and immediately we both rushed into the living room to see Dave there looking abnormally tired and down.

"Daddy!" Charlie yelled running into Daves arms. Dave quickly put on a smile for Charlie and wrapped him up in a hug like he always did.

"Hey, baby. I missed you." Dave soaked up all the cuddles from Charlie. I leant against the door frame not knowing wether Dave would acknowledge me there or not.

"Me too! Come up to my room, and see the new toy I got!" Charlie begged of Dave... and without hesitation Dave followed Charlie into his room. And I followed after too.

"Mom got me a fire truck! And it makes noise listen!" Charlie pressed the button.

"No way! We should have a race later, huh?" Dave said picking up another toy car of Charlie's.

"If you're ready to loose, yeah." Charlie said making me laugh a little bit. Dave just put his hands over his heart dramatically and fell to the floor. Charlie laughed before hopping on top of Dave playfully.

"Hey, Dani. I didn't forget about you... don't worry." Dave said walking up to me and putting his arms around me... I sighed of relief and began hugging him back, "and I'm sorry for being so stupid these past months... I've just had a lot to deal with." He whispered still hugging me.

"It's okay, Dave.... I love you." I said.

"And I love you... even more." He smiled.

"She loves me more." Charlie piped in from the back. We both turned to look at him and began laughing.

"I mean I guess you're right." I said to Charlie making Dave act sad again.

"Wow. You two just team up against me, huh?" He laughed at us. We just rolled our eyes at the dramatics and spent the rest of the day together.