015

"do you love me?"

FRANCONIA VIRGINIA
1989

-

The next morning I woke up with Dave beside me. His arm draped over my waist, basically squeezing me to death. You'd think I would have calmed down since last night, but I was still scared to death. I didn't know what Daves intentions were from the night before. But, I was still angry with him. I didn't want to mess anything up, so I honestly debated forgetting about it. But, I couldn't. Now, I'd be excited that he said he loved me. But, he was drunk. I'm sure he didn't mean it, he just used it to cover up the fact that he didn't want me to come with to Olympia.

"Dave?" I asked lightly pushing some hair out of his face. It was at least 11:30 and we had to get up sometime. I couldn't lay and think about scenarios like they would happen. I couldn't lay there and not think about what Dave said.

"Dave?" I asked once more. This time, I got a hum in response. I rolled my eyes at his effortless response and decided to just get up and ready. I knew he was hungover as shit and the least I could do was let him sleep. Even though, he's an asshole for saying that to me last night.

"Is Dave still sleeping?" A speechless Lisa asked as I came out of the bedroom without Dave. I nodded at her sadly, trying to keep it cool. I was wanting to cry right about now thinking about what Dave said.

"What's wrong?" She was curious. I sighed and waved the question off before slowly sitting next to her. I wasn't in the mood to explain it all, right now. Today we were supposed to go back to Seattle. And from the looks of it, I'd have to drive. Because everything's about Dave, right?

"Nothing." I happily muttered trying to force my happiness. I just hoped Dave would wake up soon so we could get out of here. All I wanted to do was go home and cry. Cry until I was cried dry. I couldn't begin to explain how terrible I felt right now. I should be happy Dave said he loved me, but he was drunk. And needed to cover up his mistake. It was careless.

"I can tell your lying. Did something happen between you and Dave?" Lisa questioned basically reading my mind. I couldn't keep it to myself anymore really. I had to tell someone.

"No, I'm just not feeling the best. Thank you, though." I lied again. Lisa gave up and nodded before switching the TV channel to some old 70s show. I didn't watch much TV so I wasn't sure which one. But, it seemed to be interesting enough to sit and stare at. I couldn't help but glance to the bedroom door every once and awhile to see if Dave was still sleeping. I just wanted to go home honestly.

"Do you want me to go wake him up? I'm sure he'll want to get going too?" Lisa asked again. I felt so terrible saying no to all her offers. But, I didn't want Dave to get angry with Lisa for waking him up. Especially, with the amount of beer he had last night. His head must be pounding.

"No thanks, Lisa. Thank you, a lot. You're very kind, but I'm sure he won't want to be woken up. We'll leave in a bit, he can't sleep forever." I added taking a sip of water. Lisa nodded again and sat back in her chair continuing to watch the show with me. My jaw was shaking, along with my hands. I could only keep hearing the words "I love you" ring in my head. I wanted it to go away but they wouldn't. It was close to 12:30 now. It was already passed morning....

"I'm gonna go wake him up." I muttered shyly before walking into the dark bedroom and flipping the lights on. He groaned the second I did that a turned on his side. Typical.

"Dave. We gotta go, now. Okay?" I whispered trying to keep my cool. Dave didn't answer but pulled the blankets over himself more. I was starting to get annoyed. It's always about him...

"Come on." I said tearing the blanket off of him. I wasn't playing anymore, we needed to leave now. And if Dave didn't like it, fuck it.

"What's your problem?" He asked sitting up and holding his head with annoyance. I sighed, again containing myself a bit, ready to explain it to him like he was three years old.

"You. You're the problem. Get your ass up, so we can go home." I snapped before walking out of the bedroom and to the car. Not bothering to say anything to Lisa. I couldn't talk to anyone. I was done being sweet little Dani. I was fucking mad and was gonna stay mad. And before I knew it, Dave angrily walked outside and slammed his car door shut. I'm sure he thought it would intimidate me, but he looked stupid.

I swirved out of the driveway quickly, ready to get the fuck out of there. Dave looked at me like I was crazy.

"Do you wanna tell me what the fucks going on with you?" Dave asked throwing his jacket in the backseat, "the fact that you don't know makes you an even bigger asshole, Dave." I muttered stopped at a red light. Dave sarcastically laughed at me.

"What? What did I do? Tell me, Dani." Dave asked brining tears to my eyes. I clutched the steering wheel with pain as the tears rolled down my cheeks.

"Do you love me?" I said with a crack in my voice, and a sharp inhale. Dave cleared his throat at my sudden question and tried to stay silent. He opened his mouth a few times but nothing came out, "because last night you told me you did. Right after you thoroughly explained how you didn't want me to come to Olympia with you." I said making his face go red.

"Dani. I was drunk, I didn't mean it. I swear, Danielle. I would never say that, if there's anyone I wanted to come with it'd be you!" Dave tried to cover it up with a strong voice. I guess I kind of believed him, but at the same time I didn't.

"Okay. And then you told me you loved me, which you obviously don't. You just use those words as a lifesaver. You don't even care about it at all." I said breaking down in my own goddamn car. I was being such a drama queen, but god I was upset.

"Dani. Whatever I said, I didn't mean it. And I......I do love you. A lot, actually. I do want you to come with me to Olympia and there's no girl I'd rather take with me. I had my doubts at first, but then I realized what a beautiful girl you are, and how happy you make me. Danielle, I love you. I'm saying that for real." Dave said to me keeping it calm. I don't know why, but I guess I believed him. My mascara ran down my face making me look like an idiot.

"Dave. You have to mean it." I sighed running a hand through my hair with distress. In the heat of the moment Dave rolled down his window while we were on the highway.

"I love Danielle Bailey. I love her so much, and she's the best girlfriend I've ever had!" Dave yelled out the window like a crazy person. I don't know how to does it, but he made me laugh. He always fixes everything, I wish I knew how. He's just.....well, Dave Grohl.

"Dave." I laughed as he wiped some tears from my cheeks before pushing his lips on mine, "I love you. And I'm sorry." Dave said quietly one last time.

"I'm sorry for getting upset. I love you too, Dave. I only want you to be happy and if you don't want me to go with you, that's fine. I just want to do everything I can." I said to him keeping my eyes on the road.

"Shush. I do want you to come, and I won't go unless you do." He sternly said. I gave a smile and nod in response finally getting everything off my chest and figured out. It was all coming so fast, and this whole situation was crazy. But, Dave fixed it. Like he always does...