045

March 7th, 1991
TACOMA WASHINGTON

-

"Fuck, fuck, fuck. Why am I doing this?" I asked myself as I walked out in front of easily 1,000 or more people. With these shitty lights flashing right in my eyes. How do they do this everyday? I didn't dare look at the audience but stood behind the microphone with the heavy bass in my hands.

I didn't even know the damn chords, or nothing. I'd just be playing along with the song. No one can hear the bass anyways, right?

"Good evening," Kurts voice scared me a bit since I was in such denial, "we've got a new bass player for tonight. This is Danielle." He is not drawing fucking attention to me. I must be dreaming. I stupidly stood there keeping my arm low, but awkwardly waving.

Suddenly the opening guitar part for a song I hadn't even heard before started. I closed my eyes trying to hold back my embarrassing tears. I was so nervous and confused. I listened for awhile before moving my fingers however it felt right. I couldn't even hear my own music only the loud ass drums beating behind me. I mean I knew it was loud but not this loud.

I looked to Kurt who was singing for a second and he sent a comforting wink my way. It wasn't as bad as I thought. But it wasn't the best thing I could be doing.

I didn't even move around, I was stood there like an idiot playing this stupid thing. It felt like I was up there for an hour. But the song eventually stopped and the cheering got louder.

"This ones called Molly's lips." Kurt quickly said before another song started being played by them. Again I did what my heart desires and began moving my fingers to the beat. Or at least what I thought was the beat. I couldn't explain how much I wanted to just die right then and there. My eyes wandered off to the curtains where a clear shot of backstage could be seen.

And guess who was back there sitting on the couch.

Chris fucking Novoselic. God I was gonna kill him. Kurt saw my eyes looking to the side and his gaze followed. Once he saw Chris he rolled his eyes hiding the annoyance well and continued preforming. I was fed up with this god for saken show already.....

"Okay. We'll be back..." Kurt finished before the curtains closed much like they would for a play of some sorts. I let every ounce of tension in my body go once I was hidden from the public. I threw the bass of of my basically and let out an exhausted sigh.

"Looks like I'll have to find myself a new band." Chris joked.

"Ha ha. So funny I forgot to laugh. Are you fucking kidding me?" I said trying not to snap.

"Jesus, woman. I'm sorry, traffic is a thing that humans have to live through. You did fine!" He said brushing it off. I gave him a glare before collapsing on the couch. That was the worst experience of my life. And not to brag, but I did it while having a human growing inside of me.

"Dani. You might just have to start your own band. Call it... Dani and the princesses." Dave mocked throwing his arm around my shoulders. I was beyond jokes at this point. I just wanted to go home.

"Alright. Chris, get ready to go on. Dani isn't saving your ass anymore." Kurt stopped the conversation and got all the stuff round up again. I wiped the sweat off my forehead, feeling sicker than usual.

"You did great. That was so cool, Dani." Courtney laughed. Everyone had left, just like I planned. It was just me and Courtney. I had to tell her now.

"Court. I need to tell you something. But don't tell anyone else." I changed up the mood quickly.

"Okay."

"I... I don't know how to say this because last time was the fucking worst time of my life," I was getting real emotional, "but... me and Dave—"

"Oh, Dani. That's amazing. I'm so happy for you guys." She threw her arms around me, "oh my god. I can't believe it!" She cheered. I looked at her with confusion. I hadn't even finished my sentence yet.

"W-wait. I didn't finish...." I laughed at her.

"You didn't need to! You're pregnant, Danielle Bailey. You're pregnant.... again." Courtney said with a smile. I guess I really didn't have to explain it that much, "I don't want you worrying about last time either. Be optimistic about this, Dani. It's such an amazing thing." Courtney placed her hands on my shoulders.

"It is isn't it," I felt happier about this than I ever had, "I'm already 2 or 3 months, I've gotten farther this time." I admitted my relief.

"Oh stop. It's not a game to see how much longer you get! Just be happy that you've got another chance, Dani!" Courtney said with a smile.

"You're right. You're right. But, he haven't told Kurt or anyone else. You're like the first one to know." I said to her softly.

"You don't know how much that means to me! I'm the first one you told!" She gave herself some props. I laughed at her nonchalantly.

"But Court. Please don't tell anyone else." I said strictly to her.

"Don't worry, Danielle. I won't. But that's so exciting! When do you figure out the gender?"

"4-5 months! I have an ultrasound on Sunday... I'm so nervous." I bit my nails.

"Hey. Don't be nervous, okay. Is Dave going?" She asked.

"If he doesn't pass out in the car, yes." I joked earning a laugh.

"Is he nervous?" Courtney asked.

"Very."

"That's good. He should be nervous!" She pointed out. I nodded in response as all the boys filed in from the stage. Dave had taken his shirt off he was so sweaty.... I felt bad for him. But not for Chris he deserved the overwhelming heat. Dave collapsed in the seat next to me breathing harshly.

"I told Courtney." I whispered to him. His eyes looked to Courtney who just gave him a huge smile.

"When should we tell them?" Dave whispered back motioning to Kurt and Chris taking drags from the same cigarette momentarily. I shrugged back at him.

"Hey, guys. Can we tell you something?" Dave said making my eyes go wide. I didn't expect it to be right now.

"Sure." Kurt answered.

"Well, um," Dave paused looking for the words, "Dani you tell them."

"Wow. Thanks, Dave." I rolled my eyes.

"Okay. I don't know what other way to say this other than to just give it to you cut and dry. So are you ready?"

They both nodded.

"I'm pregnant."