008

"come on, this is a joint."

SEATTLE WASHINGTON
1989

-

As soon as that clock placed above my head read 12:15 I tore myself from the godforsaken bar and headed for the door. Didn't clean up, didn't put the liquor away. I was out of that place immediately. I wanted to see Dave just once more before it got too late and I just had to go to bed. Just knowing he was cozied up in bed right now left my heart in a knot. My cheeks were red as a tomato right now....

Walking down the hallway, counting the numbers on each white door until I got to 105. From more than halfway down this narrow hallway I could hear music blaring from my room. My eyebrows furrowed together and I scrunched my nose up with confusion. As I listened closer I heard the sweet sounds of Jimi Hendrix blasting from inside. A smile appeared on my face as I walked closer to the door and opened it.

Dave wasn't anywhere to be found when I first opened the door. But, once I looked around just a little bit more ignoring the obnoxiously loud sounds of music I saw him asleep on the floor with his back against the couch. He had a notebook and pen in his hand and he must've fallen asleep while writing. And it isn't like me to snoop, but I just couldn't help it. It was right in front of me begging for my to read it.

So, I carefully pulled it out of his hands. He didn't stir in the slightest. I turned the dial on the radio down a tad to silence the sounds and took a seat on my bed. My eyes scanned the page eagerly. And the top line....well. What it read made my heart just swell up again.

My baby Dani

And with further inspection I came to realize he was writing a song. About me....or at least about my name. It wasn't all the way done. Only the first couple parts were written down. And I couldn't help but read those too. I was feeling so lovesick and in disbelief. I couldn't believe the beauty of this song.

My baby's got blue eyes, deep like the ocean. Her hair is curled, done up all the time. My baby's got red nails, black heels, and gold tales. I can't believe that she's mine. But not my baby, I've got her to save me.

There was barely anything to really look into. But, just those couple words sent this feeling through me. God, he wrote a damn song about me. Dave wrote a song....about me. If only I could hear him play it. Then he'd know I snooped.

I made my way back over to Dave and slowly placed the notebook back into his hands. Luckily, he didn't wake up. Still sleeping soundly and deeply. I smiled at the cuteness of him before slowly tucking some hair behind his ears in effort to wake him up.

"Dave?" I quietly asked. He slowly, and barely woke up. But he mutter a small "what" keeping his eyes shut tightly. I giggled and took a seat next to him lacing my hand with his.

"Don't you wanna come lay down in the bed?" I whispered softly. He didn't stir or move in the slightest. He really is a heavy sleeper, huh? I hated waking him up but it must be uncomfortable sleeping in the position he was in. But, I couldn't bring myself to annoy him anymore. So I just stood up and walked over to the bed to get some sleep.

That song just suck with me the whole night. I couldn't stop thinking about it, and how I'd keep it a secret from everyone. I wanted to tell my mom, and Annie. I wanted to tell everyone but I knew I couldn't. Dave would totally loose his trust in me. But damn it did I love that song. The next morning wasn't any better. I woke up at 6:30 tired as fuck. Dave was still leaning against the couch with his eyes closed. It made me smile seeing him still clutching onto the notebook.