053

September 9th, 1992
LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA

-

It was the day that little Charlie would be on live television. I couldn't believe it honestly... I didn't want Charlie to be on TV at the start but Dave was excited about the idea and I just went along with it. The video music awards were a big deal and I couldn't miss out on it. I was wearing a tight black top and some jeans. I didn't want to wear a dress honestly.

The awards would be inside this pavilion and all the fun stuff and pictures would be outside. There were white tents and a BUNCH of cameras and TV networks. I was honestly very scared. But Dave held me hand as he walked me to wear everyone was sitting. I held Charlie in the other.

Kurt and Courtney had gotten married and they now had a baby girl named Frances Bean. And boy was she cute.. she was a bit younger than Charlie.

"Hey you guys." Chris said holding his camera around his neck.

"Nice pants, Novoselic." I joked looking at his bright purple pants basically drawing everyone's eye sight.

"Thanks. Thanks, Danielle." Chris said back in a fake tone. I just rolled my eyes as Dave began taking Charlie from my arms. They really bonded together I could tell. And Dave was being the absolute best dad in the world.

"Chris, Dave. Tabitha Soren wants to do an interview you with you two while Kurts with the other network." Their manager stopped by. Dave cleared his throat holding Charlie up to the manager indicating that he was busy.

"Oh, stop. You can bring Charlie with. Just don't get too distracted." He made his way out as Chris began walking over to the cameras. Dave rolled his eyes.

"Don't get distracted," he mocked, "it's my baby how could I not." He laughed before walking with Charlie over to the cameras. Tabitha Soren who was with MTV was waiting for them. I stayed in my spot still being able to see them.

"Right now I'm standing here with two members of Nirvana, Dave and Chris, how you doing guys?" Tabitha asked holding the microphone out.

"You look great Tabitha, I have to dip you now." Chris joked actually taking Tabitha in his arms and full on dipping her.

"His wife's gonna kill him." Dave said jokingly.

"I see you've got a camera, have you taken any good pictures?"

"Yeah. I took a couple of Chris Robinson with his leather pants." Chris said.

"Those are great." Dave added.

"I see. And Dave I see you've got a little baby here." Tabitha said making me fall a bit nervous.

"Yeah this is my son Charlie. His first birthday was a couple months ago..." Dave said holding onto Charlie for dear life.

"I'm sure the public was pleased to know about Charlie and as well as Frances. That's very sweet... now we all know about Kurt and Courtney but Dave please tell us. Do you have a special girl in your life?"

"Yes I do. I have a girlfriend of.. 4 years." Dave proudly said with a smile making my heart go wild.

"And I assume she is also this cuties mamma?"

"That's right. He gets all the looks from her." Dave smiled softly.

"I'm sure... will we be seeing her later?" Tabitha asked.

"I'm sure you will." Dave said.

"Fantastic. And I wondered with Weird Al Yankovitch up for a Smells Like Teen Spirit music video; does that mean you guys have sort of arrived or does that sort of annoy you?" Tabitha asked.

"Well that's sort of an abstract concept—" Chris began.

"What did you think of the video?"

"I thought "oh brother" will wonders ever cease. But it was funny I was laughing."

"This year has been big for you. And I wondered if another record was in the works?" Tabitha asked.

"Yeah we're thinking of getting another record out soon.... by the end of next year hopefully." Dave answered.

"And with you having children, you know, does that take time away from the studio? And does it effect the way you've worked as opposed to your past works?" Tabitha asked.

"Well, I mean yeah. But not in a bad way at all. No one really prepares you for having a kid, but I mean I couldn't imagine doing the record without the influences of Charlie and Dani." Dave said making my stomach drop. I didn't know he'd say my actual name...

"Dani... I'm assuming that's your ride or die?" Tabitha asked with a laugh. Dave smiled nodding his head at the phrase "ride or die"

"Pretty much." He answered quietly looking at Charlie with a big smile.

"That's sweet, Dave. Well, thanks a lot for joining us!" She drew it out turning back to the camera. Dave and Chris both took that as a sign to return back. As soon as they got back, Dave handed me Charlie.

"Aren't you a sweetheart?" I asked Dave jokingly nudging his side. He gave me a sarcastic look before leaning his head on top of mine.

"When do you guys go on?" I asked.

"After the pictures. Which we have to sit through for a good hour." Chris tiredly said before snapping a picture of the venue and looking over it on his camera. He really did record everything almost.

"Jeez. I'm assuming I have to be a part of them?" I said.

"Yes ma'am." Dave put his arm around my shoulders. This was gonna be a long ass day.