034

September 12th, 1990
TAMPA BEACH FLORIDA

-

That next morning, I woke up before Dave. He was sleeping soundly next to me with his arm around my waist. I quietly sneaked out of the bed and went to the bathroom to clean up a bit. My makeup was smeared everywhere and my eyes were quite dark. I sighed at my ugly reflection and used a paper towel and wipe off the existing makeup and put some new makeup on.

I'm pretty sure that today they had a show at the new college that just opened up. I wish I went to college, maybe I'd be smarter than I am now. And let me tell you I'm not smart at all. I didn't really want to go with.... and sit backstage for 4 hours. But if I didn't... I'd feel bad about it. Very bad. And I know Dave wouldn't mind. But, I did.

"Hello, my baby Dani." Dave startled me as his arms wrapped closely around my waist as I tried to put some chapstick on. I smiled at the name. I've heard that before... but where? I mentally gasped as I remember the song Dave had written that one night. It was titled My Baby Dani. I'd forgotten about that completely. He still doesn't know I know about it.

"Morning, Dave," I giggled placing the chapstick back in my bag and turning around to face him. I couldn't begin to explain how adorable he looked when he was tired, "you feeling okay?" I asked placing my hand on his forehead feeling his temperature. He shrugged and looked down.

"I'm alright. Little headache, that's all." He mumbled.

"I'm sorry. You need anything? I was gonna go down to the store." I asked him trying to be calmer and softer with my voice.

"Just some Aspirin, I guess. Thanks." He smiled as I grabbed my purse off the counter.

"Okay." I smiled softly before opening the door and closing it softly. I presumed by the time I got back Dave would be under the covers again. So, I made sure to get him a cup of coffee too, so he could wake up some more. I went to Walgreens because it was just around the corner. I had only brought a $10 bill... hoping it would be enough. As I waited in line at the register I noticed someone very familiar checking out the sunglasses rack. I smiled almost instantly.

"Hey, could you direct me to the candy isle?" I jokingly asked from behind him. Kurt spun around instantly and smiled seeing me standing there.

"Hey, Dani. What are you up to today?" Kurt said brining me in for a friendly hug. I shrugged the question off.

"Not much. Just getting Dave some medicine. He's pretty hung over." I explained setting my things on the counter to be scanned. He nodded hesitantly.

"I'm just getting some sunglasses. That sun is intense." Kurt said with a laugh. I handed the cashier my ten dollars hoping I wouldn't need anymore.

"You're 3 dollars short." She replied waiting for me to hand her more money like I had any. In seconds, Kurt handed the woman 3 more dollars, "alright. Here you go. You two have a wonderful day." She smiled hanging me my stuff back.

"Oh, thank you, Kurt. Aren't you gonna get your sunglasses?" I asked him referring to the ones he put back. He shook his head with a generous smile.

"I don't have any money left. It's okay... I didn't really need them." That broke my heart. I couldn't believe it at all.

"I'm so sorry. You didn't have to do that... I'll buy you sunglasses once I get back to the hotel room, I promise." I said placing my hand on his arm softly, I felt terrible.

"Really, it's okay! I promise you." He said taking a drag of his cigarette. I couldn't argue with Kurt. He'd always win, always.

"I'm so sorry, if I would've know I wouldn't have let you..." I was cut off instantly, "seriously, Dani. I wouldn't have done it if I didn't want to. Now, you probably want to get to Dave before he goes crazy with that headache." Kurt stifled a laugh.

"You're right. Thank you again, I'll be at the show tonight... so I'll see you later." I said to him as he exited the parking lot ready to go our separate ways.

"Yeah... for sure. I'll see you in a bit, Dani." Kurt walked off around the corner. I smiled before starting the walk back to the hotel instead. Oh shit... that's what I forgot. What Dave said to me yesterday. Oh shit, shit. He talked about getting a house. I knew something was coming back to me from the other night... but my god. How would I bring it up to him.

"Dave? I'm back.. I brought you coffee." I quietly said closing the door behind me. Dave was passed out on the couch with some TV show playing on the television. I got the Aspirin out and his cup of coffee.

"Dave." I sat next to him on the couch. He didn't move a muscle. I felt terrible for waking him up, but his coffee would get cold. I pushed some hair out of his face.

"Dave? I brought coffee." I said. He sat up quickly and looked to my hand seeing the cup. A smile spread across his face before he took the coffee and Aspirin swallowing each of them.

"God, I feel terrible." He mumbled laying his head in my lap. I brushed his hair back softly, feeling him relax more and more into the couch. I loved taking care of him.

"I know... I'm sorry, babe. Are you gonna be able to play tonight?" I asked as he started to hug my waist and snuggled deeper into my lap.

"I don't know... they'll cancel it if I don't." He mumbled with a huff.

"I can call Kurt now and tell him. You just have to let me know. I don't think you should play if you feel sick, it's not good for you." I said. I hated acting like his wife or something. But he never cared enough for himself. Only others.

"No... I'll play tonight. It's okay, I'll be fine. I don't feel to bad anyways." Dave lied with a fake smile.

"Dave," I said with a serious tone, "I don't think you should."

"I'll be okay, Dani, You don't need to worry, it's just a headache. It'll be gone by then." Dave swore on his life he wasn't unable to play. I believed him, and let the conversation go. He stayed put in my lap and fell back asleep. It was kind of funny because I couldn't get up. I was stuck in close contact with him. There wasn't anywhere else I wanted to be.