004

"you're heart tells you what you want, not other people."

SEATTLE WASHINGTON
1989

-

The cool, warm air blew my hair around in my face. It was a bitch having to tuck it behind my ears every 2 seconds, but I managed. I was slowly regretting taking the option to walk across town to the old drive in. It was weird I knew exactly where he was talking about.....I used to come here with Kenny. My ex boyfriend. Before I say anything else, your gonna need a back story. So sit back, relax, and listen.

About 2 months ago, I broke up with Kenny. He was a nice guy, my parents loved him. My friends loved him, even I loved him. We started dating in high school, how perfect can you make that? Everything went fine, it went amazing. I didn't think there was anyone else out there for me. I'd already met my soulmate. But, boy was I wrong. Everything fell apart. He started becoming aggressive. Yelling at me any chance he got, threatening me for the littlest things. It was terrible, and for about 4 months I sat through the ordeal. I though I was the one in the wrong.

But, one day I cracked. It's like my heart finally told me. Enough. Break up with him, and he can't do anything. So in the heat of an argument with, Kenny I broke it off. I broke it off harshly too. My life was falling apart without Kenny and I soon debating going back. But, I didn't. I was stronger than that and I never went back. Now, he's been at my feet apologizing and trying to get me back. There's no way I'd ever, but I'm starting to get worried.

Anyways, enough about Kenny. There's a new person in my life now, basically. Hopefully. And I was gonna watch the frickin sunset with him. How adorable can this get. I didn't think anyone else was into that anymore but I was wrong. Kenny was the only I'd drag to the back of the drive in to watch the sunset but even he hated it. I honestly didn't believe Dave was so identical to me. Or so it felt.

"Hey." I sang walking up behind Dave. He was leaning against the fence looking out to where the old concession stands and movie screens used to be. He turned around to face me almost instantly with a big smile on his face.

"Hi, sorry, I spaced out a bit." He said being very apologetic again. I shook my head trying to shrug it off. I took a deep breath in and traced my eyes across the setting. It was just started to get dark. Dave held his hand out with a goody grin on his face. Hesitantly, I placed my hand in his wondering what he could possibly be up to. He pulled my along back behind the tall structures which used to hold a silver screen. The back was beaten up, and the bricks seemed to be falling apart. Dave let go of my hand and placed his foot on a brick, lifting himself to climb the walls towering above us.

"Dave!" I yelled with concern. What if he fell, what if he got stuck up there? What would I do then? Dave leaned his head back with a playful smile and continued climbing, "Jesus, Dave. Get down!" I called up to him once again. He didn't listen, it's like I wasn't even there. He just kept climbing until eventually he was sitting, on the top of a flat platform with his legs dangling of the edge. My heart was dropping out of my stomach.

"You're gonna fall, now get down! Seriously, your scaring me!" I shouted once again. Obviously, in distress. I couldn't even begin to describe how scary it was waiting for him to just slip and fall. It was bound to happen if he weren't carful.

"Wow, Dani. You should join me, the sunset is much better up here." He called down to me looking off to the orange and yellow sun setting in the distance. I looked at him with chock and immediately declined his offer.