Chapter 16 - Worth

A bright light floods the room and I blink my eyes open. I sit up feeling a weight on my body. I look down to see Asher's arm wrapped my body and I roll my eyes. Then there is a slight pounding in my head and I remember the nights events. 

I roll out of bed in search of some pain killers. I look to see that Asher has not moved a single bit, but is still sleeping soundly. I put on a random shirt that is lying the floor and some underwear. I walk out of the room into the kitchen. I grab a glass of water and down the white pills with the water. 

"About time you got out of bed", I hear a voice say. I drop the glass, it shattering to pieces on the floor, and grab my gun that has been disregarded there immediately. I look up to see a man sitting on my couch with a newspaper. The paper lowers and I see Dmitri in his fancy suit. 

"Fucking hell Dmitri! You scared the shit out of me!", I scold him. I look down and see the broken glass on the floor and quickly clean it up, putting the broken shards in the bin. 

"What are you doing here?", I ask finally facing the old man again. 

"You are being reckless", Dmitri starts, "You are in way over your head here. You could have killed Alejandro last night!".

"So?", I butt in before Dmitri can continue with his lecture. 

He scoffs at me and continues, "This is serious, you can't just kill anyone you want. I knew that Elijah should have never given you this responsibly, you are still that weak girl I saved 6 years", he finishes, muttering the last part. But I heard it, and before I could even register my own movements I have started my move towards the old man. Before I even register what my body is doing, my hand connects with his cheek and releases a loud clapping noise throughout the room. 

"Get out", I order him. Dmitri moves his turned face from my hit to meet my eyes. I see the shock and disbelief plastered on his face, but I don't care, all I can think about is the rage pumping through my veins. He doesn't move and my skin starts to burn with rage. "Did I fucking stutter?", I yell, "Get the fuck out Dmitri! I don't need you here to tell me about all the ways I am messed up, I already know that I'm fucked up!". 

Before I can continue in my fit of rage targeted at Dmitri, a voice draws me out. "Why the fuck are you yelling?". I turn the clearly hungover brunette stumbling out of the bedroom. Quickly he reads the situation, eyes widening, and says, "I'm just going to leave". He walks back into the bedroom and this time re-enters fully dressed. 

"Goodbye Asher", I say as he opens the door, he looks back and nods. I turn back to Dmitri and he is staring holes in me with his gaze, "You too". 

Dmitri gets up and walks to the door. He opens it and looks back at me one more time. I don't let my mask fall as I challenge his gaze. With a shake of his head he leaves the room. Once I hear the door click shut, I walk to the bedroom once more. How could he say that? I was so different to the girl I used to be. My mind began racing with so many thoughts and I couldn't think straight anymore. I lock eyes with my dagger sitting on the bedside table. I grab the shining metal and put it to the inside of my wrist. 

I feel a light burning sensation from under the cool blade and I watch the blood escape from the self-inflicted wound. The red liquid travels down my hand and I feel a small amount of relief. I think back to the time when I first did this 10 years ago. I had felt so guilty and relieved at the same time. But it made it all stop. As I look at the deep shade of red escaping my body I feel my body tense up. Maybe Dmitri was right, maybe I still am the same girl from 6 years ago. I mean I still keep on hurting myself whenever it all gets too much. I'm still a pushover. The thought nearly takes me to my knees. Taking me out of my trance once more, I hear the hotel door open.