Chapter 27 - Dinner

We were at some fancy restaurant, there were many people seated around us, and were in the middle of the room. I was next to Nikolai and Chiara, she said that I was now her new best friend and no one else was cool enough, so she had to sit next to me. To be honest, I kinda loved that she thought of me liked that, it only made it better when Sebastian seemed to be so offended, that he was glaring at me from across the table, where he had an empty seat on his right and Maria on his left. 

Despite being surrounded by people, I still felt so alone. I still didn't feel like I could breathe properly, like there were hands slowly constricting around my throat, going a little bit tighter with every passing minute. But I was letting anyone know about this, I could push through it, it would go away eventually, just for know I had to keep pretending that I was fine. It wasn't like it anything new. 

I was sipping on my red wine slowly when I felt someone tapping my arm. I placed my glass down when I looked down to see Chiara looking up me with a curious expression. 

"Is Nikolai your brother?", she asks. 

I smile as I answer her, "No, well not by blood at least".

Her eyebrows only furrow, "What do you mean, not by blood". 

"Well, Sebastian is your brother by blood, because you both have the same Mama and Papa", I say gesturing towards Sebastian and Maria across from us, "But Nik and I don't have the same parents, so I think of him like my brother".

"Well, where are your Mama and Papa?", Chiara questions. 

The hands tightened again. 

"Chiara!", Maria scolds, "That is private!".

Chiara's expression turns to one of sadness and shock as a result of Mother's reprimand. I felt my nails begin to play with the skin around my thumb, looking for that familiar stinging sensation, as I keep a smile plastered over my features, not slipping in my facade. Nikolai beside me, however, was not doing the same, his entire body being the epitome of tense. 

"No, no, it's okay", I quickly butt in, "It's just a harmless question". 

But it wasn't. It was so much more than a harmless question. 

Maria's gaze comes over to me from her daughter, a gaze that is filled with sympathy, "Viola, dear, please don't feel like you have to answer that, Chiara is slowly learning what question she is and isn't allowed to ask"

Chiara sunk a little in her seat, muttering an apology. 

I gave Maria another small smile, "It's okay, I don't mind answering", I turned back to Chiara who was already looking up at me, I felt another demanding gaze, one that used to make my heart skip a beat. 

"Well, my Mama is an angel now, she lives in heaven now", I reply. 

"My Daddy's in heaven too", Chiara says with a frown on her face, "Do you miss your Mama? I miss my Daddy a lot". 

The hands go a little tighter again.

"Oh Dio", Maria mutters quietly, she then speaks a bit louder, "Excuse me, I'm going to get another drink". 

We all knew that she didn't need another drink, she had a full glass in front her. She needed to escape, something that I can so greatly relate to. 

I give Chiara another little smile, "I do miss her a lot, she was the best". 

Chiara then decides to perk up a little, "Did she bake you cookies?"

I chuckle, "She did"

"Did she play barbies with you?"