Chapter 40 - 3 Minutes

Emilia Morales 

Age: 15 

Everything hurt. 

I didn't think that there was a single part of me that didn't hurt. 

I didn't know where the pain had started. Or where it was the worse. 

Was it the throbbing coming from my ribs? Or the blood that was dripping down my face from both my eyebrow and nose? Or was it the bruising around my knees? 

I didn't know. 

And quite frankly I wasn't too sure if I had wanted to know. 

I didn't know how I was meant to get back to my room when all I could feel was an endless stream of mind numbing pain. White, hot flashes of pain flooded my vision every time I had attempted to move from my position of leaning against the cement wall behind me. 

I was a failure tonight. 

But when wasn't I. Always the fucking disappointment. The burden of the family. 

I was the weak link. 

Father had entrusted me with a mission tonight and despite me getting him the information that he had wanted, I still had failed. 

I took 3 minutes longer than what he said I could have. 

He gave me 30 minutes to get him the information from his perverted 'friends' who enjoyed feeling me up. 

I took 33 minutes. 

Which seemed to be completely unacceptable and meant that he could beat me black and blue once again. 

It was 3 fucking minutes. It was no time at all and yet all of the time in the world. 

3 minutes. 

I licked my lips only to taste my blood. I grimaced at the metallic taste and tried to get up from my sitting position once again and winced when everything in my body screamed at me to stop moving. 

I closed my eyes and leaned my head back against the cold wall. 

Fucking hell. 

Something else must of happened tonight. He couldn't have been so mad over me being 3 minutes to warrant this kind of beating. But then again, my father was a psychotic man and who knows what the fuck goes on in his head.

I opened my eyes once more and stared at the doorway in front of me. 

I couldn't stay here. 

Not when he still seemed angry and could come back and finish me off. 

I put my hands on the ground and pushed up. Tears filled my eyes. My arms shook in exhaustion. I felt like I was going to both pass out and throw up at the same time. 

Somehow I made it to my feet. 

I leaned against the wall breathing hard, heart hammering against my chest. 

I could do this. 

I could make it back to my room. 

I could do it. 

I took a step and grimaced when pain ricocheted across my entire body. Breathing through my nose, I shook my head and took another step forward again. 

I could do this. 

I needed to do this. 

Each step was more painful than the last. Every part of my body shook. My ribs ached, I was sure that they were broken this time. Blood coated over my eyelids blurring my vision momentarily before I wiped it away with the sleeve of my shirt.