Chapter 10 - Leadership

I pace back and forth the hotel room thinking over the details of last night. Who the hell shot Elijah? I keep coming back to it, that same question, over and over again. No one knows what happened last night and who fired the shot. I know that it was not Sebastian, sadly, because we were too busy arguing for him to shoot Elijah. I go through each possibility that comes to mind but nothing seems right. Who would shoot him? Why would someone break the rules? 

I hear a knock at my door and I open it up and see Nikolai. He walks in and I shut the door. I go back to my pacing and I bite my nails. "You know I can hear your overthinking from over here", Nikolai comments. I look at him annoyed and he puts his hands up in surrender. Before I can go back to my thought Nikolai speaks again, "So you are the new leader off the American Mafia". 

I shake my head and continue pacing back and forth. "He didn't mean that did he? We all know Elijah is a big trickster, so he was pulling on last joke in the last minutes of his life", I say. I continue biting onto my nails and I stop and look at Nikolai, "Right?". 

Nikolai shakes his head, "Vi you are now not just the bloody dagger, but the leader of a Mafia", he explains, "You have some really big responsibilities now". He goes to speak again but I cut him off, "Oh God what am I going to do?", I ask starting to panic. 

"What you always do", Nikolai tells me. I look over to him in confusion. "Survive, you always make it out of things alive and somewhat okay, this is no different". 

"But it is so different Nik", I say, "I am the leader of the American Mafia! I thought that maybe I would like your second in command when you took over after your father, but never did I ever think that I would become the actual leader of a Mafia!". 

"Viola take a deep breath", Nikolai tries to comfort me. Surprisingly I do what he says and I feel myself calm down a little. I think about what this means for me and how my life is now going to change. "This could be a really good thing you know?", Nikolai comments. 

I nod my head, "It's just that like I don't really have much to do with the American Mafia", I explain, "Elijah and I have always been close, like he said I'm pretty much his daughter, but I haven't done really anything with his Mafia". I begin to freak out again and bite onto my nails anxiously. 

My phone rings and I look to see an unknown number. I pick it up and say, "Hello". "Viola Hart, this is Felix Saint, I was Elijah's right hand", the deep voice says. "Oh yes right, I think we have met once before", I reply. "Yes we have, anyway I was wondering if you would come down to the compound so you can meet a few people and announce your new position publicly". I pause for a moment and take in his words, "Umm yes of course, I will be there in 20 minutes". I hang up the phone and look back over to Nikolai. 

"I'm going to the compound", I tell him. "Do you want me to come with you?", he asks. I shake my head, "I think this is something I need to do alone". "Okay, call me if you need anything", Nikolai says. I nod in reply. He gets up from the couch and brings me into a tight embrace. I hug him back grateful for the gesture. We stand there for a moment and I pull back before my emotions start to explode. Nikolai says goodbye and then leaves the room. 

I go to my bedroom and get changed. I put on a pair of black skinny jeans and a matching black lace corset. I attach my various weapons to my body and pull my long black hair into a ponytail. I put on a pair of black boots to match the outfit. I take a deep breath and walk out the door. When I get to the basement I realise that I don't even have a car with me. I look over the loaded car park till I find one that I like. I spot a black Lamborghini Aventador LP and I smile looking over its beauty. I try the door checking to see if it is unlocked and to my surprise it is. Of course I wasn't lucky enough for the keys to be in the car so I have to hot wire it, which I do easily. The engine of the car roars as I pull out of the car park and drive along the road. 

I don't care that there are other people around me or for the speed limit. I put my foot to the ground and let the car speed up. Soon I exist the city and I drive along a road for about 10 minutes till I turn onto a hidden road. I let the car go faster as I zoom down the road, watching the trees turn into a blur of green and brown. I park outside the tall cement building and see Felix standing at the door waiting for me. I turn the car off and get out. 

"Hello Miss Hart", Felix says. 

"Please call me Viola", I say, hating the formality. 

Felix nods and leads me inside. "I understand that right now you may be confused, but I knew that you would be the one to succeed after Elijah", he tells me. I look over to him couriousily as he continues, "Elijah spoke of you very highly and even mentioned to me a few times that he wanted you to take over at one point". 

I nod and Felix opens up another door for me revealing a small meeting room with two other men sitting there. "This is Ace Turner our top soldier", Felix says pointing to the white headed boy, "And this is Dante our hacker". I look over to the brown head who is sitting next to Ace. "Boys this is Viola Hart, the new leader of the American Mafia", Felix addresses them. They both nod understanding what Felix has told them. 

"About fucking time I say!", Ace exclaims. I look at him confused and he chuckles. "Finally a woman has some real power and can show the sexist fuckers of the world what they are really capable of", Ace explains. 

"I like you", I tell him. Ace nods and smiles. "I know that this change is a bit sudden, but I am committed to being the best leader I can and I will be a great leader", I tell the group. 

"We know you will do great", Felix says to me. 

For the next few hours we talk about the future of the Mafia. I kinda of get to know Ace and Dante as we continue to talk. I am grateful for them being so accepting of me, but I know that others will not be so easy. I look at the time and see that it is 10 pm, I decide to head back to hotel then. 

I drive along the road once again, going way over the speed limit. I pull into the hotel underground parking and put the stolen car there. I walk back into the elevator and feel it begin to move up. I walk into my own hotel room once it stops moving. I shut the down and fall against while taking a deep breath. My phone dings and I take it out to look at the message. I read over it and smile. Guess I get to kill someone tonight. 

(1326 WORDS)