Chapter 30 - When Are You Going to Tell Them?

After I had a shower and washed away the night before, I found myself in the kitchen once again. Now dressed in a mini skirt and a corset like top, I had felt much than comfortable, compared to when I was in my torn up, bloodied dress. 

Maria was standing at the stove cooking something that smelt amazing. I walked over to take a seat at the kitchen island and she looked over to me. 

"Are you hungry?", she asks, "I'm cooking some of my famous pancakes, as per request of my daughter". 

As if summoned, my stomach began rumbling. 

Maria laughed, "I will take that as a yes". 

"Thank you", I say gratefully. 

"So tell me about what exactly happened, my son isn't always the best communicator", Maria says. 

Understatement of the century. 

"Well pretty much, I went to this random club, and went out to the alleyway, and I guess that I got drugged and woke up tied to this chair in some basement", I explain, "Anyway, soon this guy came into the room claiming that I 'stole his birthright' and honestly I had no clue who he was, so I was obviously confused, and then he said that he was Elijah's brother, Jacob, and then he stabbed me once I said that I wouldn't just hand him over the American Mafia, and then I killed him and now I'm here".

Maria nods her head and flips a stack of pancakes onto a plate, before giving it to me. 

"Thank you", I muttered before getting straight into eating them, "These are delicious". 

Maria laughs, and turns back to the stove top, cooking some more pancakes. 

I was nearly done with my food, when she speaks up again, "So tell me dear, when are you going to tell them?" 

My heart skips a beat. Cautiously I place my fork down on the kitchen island. I clear my throat before answering. 

"Tell who what?", I ask nervously. 

She couldn't have worked it. 

Maria glances over towards me and sends a smile my way, "No need to act like you don't know what I'm talking about. You aren't as good as hiding your secret as you think. To be honest I'm surprised no one else has worked it out yet".

Fuck. 

"I assume that Nikolai knows, since from what I gathered you have been living with his family for the past six years".

I blink silently. 

Maria continues, "But what I don't understand is why you haven't told anyone". 

She places the last pancake onto the plate, that I didn't even realise she was filling. She turns to me, with a blank expression. 

"How did you know?", I ask quietly, my heart racing. 

Maria smiles, "You aren't exactly subtle, dear. I see the way you longing look at Carlos, like you want to go to him, tell him it all, but you don't, instead you hide away. And your mother was my best friend and you look so much like her", she says with tears in her eyes, "Changing your hair colour won't ever change that". 

I stay silent. I don't know what to say. What even could I say?

"I have worried about you for so many years", she admits with a tear sliding down her cheek, "Once I learnt about that horrific night, I was gut wretched, I couldn't believe that my best friend was gone and that her daughter was too, I didn't want to believe it. For years, I held out hope that you were alive, somewhere safe, far away from the evil man that is your father. And now you are here, right in front of me, with a new name and hair colour, but you are still her".