Chapter 35 - Rookies

When I first stepped foot into the gym, I was overwhelmed with the scent of sweat and blood. Usually my mood would be lifted slightly by this familiar smell, but not today. Today I was pissed off. 

It hadn't even been 24 hours since Sebastian hand his hands around my throat, where there was now a ring of purple and black hidden beneath my black turtle neck. My neck was sore, but I would manage, it wasn't the worse pain I had endured in my life. 

Things could always be worse. 

I stood just in front of the doorway and I scanned the crowd there. There were multiple people fighting each other, most of them wouldn't be worth my time. They had shitty form. They thought they were better than what they actually are. 

Some people were cheering the ones who were fighting on. Others were ignoring them completely, focusing on themselves. 

At the front of the room I saw Ace with his arms crossed over his muscular chest observing the rookies. 

I make my way towards Ace dodging the gathering crowds watching the fights occur. As I went further into the room the more the whispers and eyes on me developed. I ignore them all as I kept walking, my face remaining stoic. 

I was not in the mood to play nice today. 

I was tired, sore and pissed off. I had a very short fuse today. And these people better not test it, because it will not end very nicely for them.

"Morning Capo", Ace said with a smile once I reached his side. 

"Anyone here actually worth my time, or are they all dead ends?", I ask Ace. 

Ace points towards the back of the room where there is a set of targets laid out. There is a girl probably around 19 throwing knives at the target, one after the other, each other landing with perfect precision. 

"Avery Ward, 18 years old, she keeps to herself pretty well, but she has won every single challenge that has come her way during these past training days", Ace states. 

I nod, "Anyone else?".

Ace shrugs, "Nah, nothing special this year, I wouldn't waste your time on anyone else"

I then felt Ace's eyes turn to focus on me rather than on Avery. 

"So do I need to kill anyone or have you got it sorted?", he asks. 

I don't bother facing him as I answer him, "And why would you need to kill anyone?"

"Duh, the bruises around your neck, honestly, I expected better from you. Hiding them with a turtleneck, talk about basic", Ace says. 

I don't even bother answering him, just rolling my eyes instead. 

Ace's tone then turned teasing, "Unless-", he paused. 

I look over at him now. There is only pure mischief in his eyes. 

"Unless what Ace?", I question raising my eyebrows. 

"Unless you know they are hickeys", 

I felt my mouth drop open, 

"Because then you need to tell whoever you are hooking up with to stop being such a vampire, because, fuck, he is going to suck you dry".

"Do I really need to warrant that with a response?", I state. 

"I mean you kinda already did, but I guess you don't have to", Ace snickers to himself. 

I roll my eyes, looking back over the crowd. 

Jesus. 

Whoever taught these people to fight, were doing it wrong. These people are so shit that I am getting second hand embarrassment just watching them. 

"No but seriously", Ace's voice grabs my attention again, "Say a name and it will be dealt with". 

I felt myself give him a small smile.

"I know, but don't worry I can handle myself", I reply patting his arm. 

"I don't doubt that you can, but say the word and the problem will cease to exist", Ace explains. 

"Thank you"

Ace nods, "Don't mention it". 

I felt myself snicker. 

"What don't want anyone to know that you are actually softie big guy?", I shove his shoulder with my own. 

Instead of arguing, Ace rolls his eyes, "Chicks love it, the hard exterior and then they secretly find out later on that I am actually a good guy and then bam, hooked!". 

I felt myself let out a laugh. 

"Yeah a good guy who murders people for a living"

"Exactly", Ace nods. 

"Whatever you want to believe, buddy", I pat his shoulder. 

Ace then looks down at me with a smirk on his lips. 

"So I shouldn't mention a certain Italian about 6 foot 3, who I always seem to find getting increasingly closer to you with each passing day?", Ace says. 

I slam my mouth shut. 

"I mean, he's got one of the hardest shells there is, and it seems to have worked on you".

"I don't know what you're talking about", I reply looking back at Avery as she retrieves her knives from the dummy target. 

Ace audibly laughs. 

"Do you want me to shoot you?", I question. 

Ace continues to laugh, almost doubling over himself. Some people begin to look over at the idiot next to me. 

"Stop it. You are embrassing us". 

"I'm sorry, it's just your face was so- it was so fucking funny", he says in between laughs. 

"I will shoot you if you don't stop laughing in the next five seconds", I state bluntly. 

"I'm stopping I promise", Ace says, still laughing to himself. 

I roll my eyes for what feels like the millionth time today. 

I watch as a some random guy walks over towards Avery, he is probably double her size. He looks like an asshole. He reaches out to grab and the next thing I know he is on the floor, Avery on top of him a knife to his throat. She speaks into his ear and he nods quickly. She rises from her position on the top and he practically runs away with his head lowered. 

I felt myself smirk. 

"Get a hold of yourself", I order, "Tell everyone to go home and that if they seriously think that they would be accepted into my Mafia with the embrassing way that they carry themselves, they need to think again".

I begin to walk away, but I pause after a few steps. 

"Tell the girl to meet with Felix to be inducted"

"You got it, boss", Ace replies as he begins to compose himself, small laughs still escaping from his lips. 

What a fucking idiot. 

(1067 words)