Chapter fifty

SOFIA'S POV

Saying goodbye to Ioane actually brings me to tears. He hugs me tight at the airport, and I cry into his chest. "This can't be the last time we see each other," I tell him.

"It won't be," he tells me.

"Promise?" I ask him.

"Yes, I promise. I love you. Now go, otherwise you'll miss your flight love," he tells me.

I kiss him passionately, cupping his face. "Goodbye Ioane," I tell him.

"Goodbye Sofia," he tells me, pecking my lips.

The flight back to New York is long, and I fall asleep for the majority of the flight. Once we land, I take my carry on out of the overhead bin. I walk toward baggage claim to collect my large suitcase, and then I receive a call from James.

"Sofia?" He asks.

"Yes?"

"Where are you right now? I'm at the airport," he says.

"I'm right by door 6 terminal A," I tell him.

"Okay, I'm coming to get you."

It isn't long before I head outside and spot James' car parked out front. He gets out of the vehicle and helps me put my luggage away. My breath catches looking at him. He looks absolutely scrumptious in his grey sweats and fitted black T.

James gives me a hug. I allow myself to welcome his embrace, tucking my head into his chest. "How was Hawaii?" He asks me.

"Lots of fun! I want to go back again later," I tell him, my voice muffled by his chest.

"I'll come with you next time," James says.

"Really?" I ask, pulling out of the embrace. I look up at him. Why would he want to come? He's too busy with work to come anyway.

"Of course. Or maybe we'll vacation somewhere else. We could go to Paris. Have you ever been?"

I shake my head. "I've never left the country."

His eyes widen. "Seriously?"

I nod my head. "Yes, I've never traveled outside of the US before."

"I'll take you," he says. James tilts his head, beckoning me to get into the car. I climb inside, and then he takes off.

"So what did you an Ioane do together? We didn't talk much toward the end of your trip,"
James says.

The first thing that comes to mind is Ioane burying himself into me, thrusting in and out until we both came apart. I blush darkly, trying to think of anything else.

James eyes me suspiciously. "What's that look for?"

I darken, feeling nervous. Should I tell him? It is private, but James has always been really forward about his sex life with me. And we are friends first. It wouldn't hurt to tell him the truth. It's not like he cares who I sleep with—that's the whole reason we're in an open relationship in the first place.

James takes a sip of his water, turning left. I decide to tell him.

"So, I may or may not be a virgin anymore," I tell him.

He coughs, sputtering hard and choking on the water.

"Oh my god! James!" I grab hold of the steering wheel, keeping us straight while he tries to regain his breath.

~~~
JAMES' POV

That fucker slept with her? Are you shitting me? I'm so mad that steam is practically escaping from my ears like I'm a cartoon character.

I imagine his hands all over her body. Him inside of her. Fuck, this is my worst nightmare.

"What do you mean you may or may not be a virgin anymore?" That fucker slept with my wife. I feel entirely enraged. I don't give a fuck about the fact that we're in an open relationship. All I can think about is his hands on her body.

"Isn't it obvious? We slept together," she tells me.

I want to ask her when. I want to know exactly when this fucker was touching her while I was thousands of miles away. And yet a part of me doesn't want to know any details. I don't want to torture myself with the thought of him fucking her.

I try to keep my tone light. "Really? How was it?"

She glances at me, maybe trying to size up how I really feel about this situation. I do my best to keep a poker face.

"It was really nice. I didn't know it could feel that good," she tells me quietly.

Sofia looks at me cautiously, as if she's worried about offending me. I do my best to look unaffected. "Sex is something else. I couldn't live without it," I tell her.

"I'm beginning to understand that sentiment," she says, blushing pink.

How many times did they do it? Where they fucking all week long while I was working in the office? I can't deal with this right now. I need a drink.

I drop Sofia off at the apartment and carry her luggage for her inside. While she begins to unpack her things, I tell her I'm leaving to go drink.

"What time will you be back?" She asks.

"I don't know."

"Oh. Okay then."

I don't bother giving her another response before leaving. The uber takes me to Fire and Ice, and I head to the VIP section. I spend the entire night downing shots, drinking tequila, vodka, and bourbon. I drink myself into oblivion, until I'm sure that my body is more alcohol than it is blood.

When I begin to feel myself loosening up and relaxing, I calm down. The alcohol makes me feel warm, and I watch the women in the club with clothes so tiny they may as well be naked. I hate that none of them come close to Sofia's beauty to me. Sofia is just on another level. I should call her.

I pull out my phone, dialing her number. She picks up on the first ring. "James? Is everything okay?"

"Sofia, have I ever told you how beautiful you are?" I slur.

"James, I can't hear you. Are you in a club? The music is too loud."

Fuck. I get up out of my chair and head outside. It's much cooler outside of the club and the air feels nice against my hot skin.

"Sofia," I say, thinking about my wife's pure body being tainted by that fucker.

"I don't want you to have sex with that fucker. I want you to have sex with me," I say honestly.

There is a sharp intake of breath in the phone. "James, you're drunk. You don't mean that," she says.

"Yes, I do," I insist. "Do you know how many times I've fucked my own hand wishing it was you instead? Half the time I can't sleep at night because I want you so bad." She's quiet for a while.

"Say something Sofia," I say to her.

"Is this how you really feel? Be honest," she says.

"Is it wrong if I say yes?"

"James, if you really feel that way, then why are you sleeping with other women? Why can't we try to be exclusive?"

"Because I'm not a one-woman man. I think I'd get bored of you."

Now she snaps. "Well you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want to be with me, then I don't want you sleeping with other women."

"I can't do that," I tell her.

"Then don't tell me that you want me," she says. "The only reason I haven't hung up yet is because you're drunk. Are you ready to come home? Call an Uber," she demands.

"Okay, I'm coming home."