Part twenty-three

SOFIA'S POV

I'm driving up the winding road to our cottage again. Everything seems to be going fine, but then I see it. The accident. I get out of the car, and everything seems to be moving in slow motion. James is bleeding from his head, and his eyes are closed. I see that the air bags in his car have been deployed, and my heart stops. "James! James!" I tell his name frantically, tapping his shoulder, but I get no response. My chest feels tight, and I can hear myself hyperventilating.

"Sofia! Sofia, wake up! It's just a bad dream." James is shaking me awake in the middle of the night.

My cheeks are wet with tears, and I realize with a start that he's right. I was dreaming about the accident. I flip the light on the nightstand on, bathing the pitch black room in a warm glow.

My head turns to face him, and I meet his bright blue eyes in the dark. "What were you dreaming about?" He demands.

"The accident," I whimper quietly.

James' face softens, and he opens his arms for me. I'm careful to drop my head in his chest, crying against his shirt. "I'm sorry I woke you up," I tell him. I pull out of his arms. "Just go back to sleep. I can handle it."

"Shh," he hushes. "Come here. I don't want to see you hurting."

He drags me by the arm into his body. I curl up next to him on the bed, turning on my side so that my back is pressed against his front. I don't want him to see my face because I'm too embarrassed. I keep crying in front of him, and it's ridiculous. I need to get a hold of myself.

James wraps a strong arm around my waist, pulling me back into his chest and spooning me. "Tell me about the dream," he whispers in my ear.

I shiver. The sound of his low voice is sending sparks down my back.

"I-I was driving," I start.

"And?" He murmurs into my hair.

"You were there. The jeep was rammed up against the tree, and you were so still. Very still," I whisper, thinking of his bleeding head wound.

"I'm okay, Sofia. You don't have to worry. I'm right here."

"I'm scared to fall asleep," I tell him. "I don't want to see you hurting like that again."

He kisses the back of my head. I feel the hand he has wrapped around my waist dip lower. His thumb begins to rub soothing circles on my bare thigh. My body feels electric under his touch. "Breathe Sofia. I'm fine. There's no need to panic."

I shudder, imagining him laying in a casket in the ground. Tears prick my eyes, and I bury my hands in my face. A small whimper escapes my lips as I start crying again.

"Aw, baby, don't cry," he tells me, stroking my inner thigh. James then sits up in bed against the headboard, shifting back. He asks me to sit up. "Get up and sit in between my legs."

I'm so drained that I obey him right away. What does he want with me?

I get up from where I'm lying on my side and sit between his legs. Soon he begins playing with my hair. My eyes begin to flutter shut as he massages my head with his fingertips.
~~~
JAMES' POV

"Everything is going to be okay," I whisper. I take my time rubbing her scalp in slow, soothing circles. She lets out a quiet sigh, and I know I'm doing my job right. My lips kiss the back of her head, and I'm unable to resist kissing my way down the crook of her neck. My hands massage their way down her arms, squeezing her soft skin gently. I slide the strap of her slip off her shoulder, kissing her skin. She closes her eyes, dipping her head back as I inhale the scent of her clean body.

"Everything's okay," I murmur into her skin. One of my hands moves from where it's holding onto her forearm and cups her breast. God, she fills my hand perfectly. I take my index finger and rub a circle around her nipple over the lace, causing her to suck in a breath. I can feel my dick harden as I toy with her body. I've been dreaming of the day I could touch her like this. I can't believe this is really happening right now.

"Relax," I hum. I kiss her shoulder, letting my tongue swipe out against her flesh. Her skin is so warm. She drops her head back as I begin to trace her nipple with my fingers. I listen to the sound of her slow and labored breathing.

Then I go back to massaging both of her arms. My hands tangle their way back in her scalp, massaging smoothly.

"Mmm," she hums.

"Feeling better?" I throat.

"Yes," she whispers.

"Good," I reply. "Lay down with your head on my chest."

We shift back to laying down again, and I embrace her as she sets her head down on me. Sofia's body feels so warm pressed up against mine. I pray that my dick keeps from poking her while she sleeps. I can't control my attraction to her. She makes me feel like a horny teenager again.

"Thank you," she murmurs.

"No problem," I hum.

We fall asleep holding each other, and when I wake in the morning, she still has her head on my chest. I watch her breathe in and out for what seems like hours until she finally wakes up. When her eyes flutter open, they meet mine. She looks confused, but then slowly seems to recall the events of last night.

"How are you feeling?" She asks me. Her voice comes out dry and scratchy.

"I'm okay. How are you?" 

She bites her lip, causing my eyes to lower to her mouth. "I think I'm okay. Are you sure you're alright? Let me make you some coffee."

She's out of bed before I can stop her, and I decide to wait until she comes back with my mug. It takes about ten minutes for the coffee to finish brewing all the way, and then Sofia brings me a steaming mug. I sit up and take a sip from the cup.

"This tastes so good," I compliment her.

"I put in the creamer than you like so much. The caramel one," she specifies.

I set the mug on the side table, gesturing for her to come sit in between my legs again. She shifts onto the bed, tucking her legs underneath her and facing me this time.

"I wanted to thank you for taking care of the DUI for me. I really appreciate it. I know it must not have been easy to buy your way out of that with the police."

She nods her head. Sofia's voice comes out small. "I'm just glad you're okay. Maybe we should stay in and recuperate today."

I feel guilty because I know how adventurous she is, and she probably wanted to go out again today and make the most of our trip. "I can head out Sofia. It's just my arm that needs to be in a sling."

She shakes her head. "I don't want you doing anything intense since you had a concussion. Do you want to watch a movie? I think that might be okay today. We can start with Captain America and work our way down the rest of the Marvel movies."

She's offering to do something I like, and it makes my heart soar. "That would be nice," I tell her.

We both decide to change, and then we walk over to the couch and rent the movie. I find myself looking forward to this day with her the most, even though we will be inside. I'm realizing that I don't need to do anything elaborate with her to have fun. Just being in her presence is enough for me.