Chapter 79

These are thoughts

⚠️TW (not much detail but I'm still putting this here)⚠️

~~~

Mizuki pov.
After talking with the boys, I go back on the beach. I get in trouble, and I get scolded by Daichi. Again.

Then I join a few games of beach volleyball. After that, I go into the water again to swim.

When it's dinnertime, I eat with my team. Then, I get ready for bed, just like the days before.

I help set up the futons again, with Nishinoya, Tsukishima and Narita.

I lay mine out, but I suddenly start coughing a lot. I cover my mouth to try not to make that much noise.

Of course, it didn't work.

"Hey, you okay?" Narita calls me.

"Y-ya, I'm fi-" I try to reply, but I start coughing a lot again.

"We should get water for her." Tsukishima says.

"I'll get some!" Nishinoya offers, then dashes out the room.

Narita finds some medicine, just in case. Tsukishim comes beside me and checks my forehead.

"...you're burning up Zuki." He says. "Narita, can you get a thermometer?"

"No it's fine!" I exclaim. "I-I'm fine, I probably just choked on something!"

Tsukishima raises an eyebrow, unconvinced. "How about you're forehead?"

"Um, well," I stammer. "I..I'm going to wash my face!"

I run to the washroom and I lock the door. I wash my face, hoping that it was nothing.

Then, I crouch down and clutch my stomach. I cover my mouth as I cough.

Dammit, did I seriously get sick? No, I'll be fine. I'm sure it's nothing.

"Mizuki?" Narita knocks on the door. "Noya got some water."

"I'll be out in a m-minute!" I call back.

I hear his footsteps get quieter. I feel something rising from my stomach, so I go to the toilet.

I sit by it, just in case I vomit. I hold my stomach and I keep coughing, but I try to stop it, or at least cover it.

Another knock on the door.

"Mizuki? It's Daichi. Can you come out?" He asks. "It's been almost ten minutes."

"O-okay. Sorry!" I stand up and walk to the door.

My legs feel weak, but I slowly make my way there. I unlock the door and I open it.

The whole team is watching me. I start trembling, and my heartbeat beats loudly in my head. Then my legs give in.

I collapse.

~~~
Dream
~~~

I walk through the doors.

I look down and I see my uniform. Blue and yellow, with the number 4 printed black.

Everyone's eyes are on me.

In the bleachers. Eyes of wonder, admiration, awe.

On the opponents team. Eyes analyzing me, of determination and amusement. Thinking they'll win.

On my team. Eyes of hatred, jealousy, irritation, loathing.

Suddenly, everything around me blurs. Like it was fast forwarding to the future.