chapter 38

"How dare you!"

Forth looked at Beam with a face depicting guilt. He had imagined several times Beam's reaction to this matter, however, facing Beam's anger head-on, made his heart go wild. Beam is always patient, sweet, and never shows excessive emotions.

At this moment, his face was flushed not from blushing but from anger. His voice and hands trembled, after he slapped Forth very hard. Even in his not fully recovered state, Beam's strength was so great that Forth took a step back from the slap. Beam's eyes were watering but smoldering with unstoppable anger.

"Baby, listen to me," Forth said as he tried to grab Beam's arm, but Beam coldly waved his hand and turned around, giving his back to Forth. "Baby, please, listen to me..."

"Go, Forth. I don't want to see you," Beam hissed coldly.

Phana touched Beam's arm gently. "Beam, you should give Forth a chance to explain. After all, he did it to save you."

Beam waved Phana's hand too. He pointed at everyone in the room with fiery eyes. "All of you get out, or I'll get out of here."

"Baby," Forth called desperately.

Lam patted Forth's shoulder and shook his head. He signaled the others to leave the room.

Wayo and Kit held hands while crying. They had never seen Beam so angry. Phana and Ming followed behind them. Lam and Park flanked Forth and half dragged him out of the room. They led Forth to the hospital cafeteria. Forth sat limply in one of the chairs and buried his head in his hands.

"I shouldn't have done that, should I, Pha?" asked Forth sadly.

Phana sighed and put his arm around Forth's shoulder, patting him gently. "No. You've done the right thing, Forth. You've proven that you love Beam and are willing to do anything for him, even when you realize he might hate you."

"You must have expected Beam's reaction to be like this beforehand, Forth?" Lam asked.

"I knew he'd be mad, but it really hurts," Forth muttered weakly.

"You have to be patient, Phi," Ming comforted. "Phi Beam might just be surprised. He'll take it later."

"How did you find him, Forth?" Kit asked curiously. "He's been out of Beam's life for a long time."

"I found out about him as soon as I found out that Beam's kidney had problems. I consulted many doctors, including your father-Pha and Kit, as well as doctor Thitipat. It's hard to find a suitable kidney donor, especially when Beam's blood type is AB negative. Doctor Intochar suggested that I look for people who are still related to Beam because the possibility of a greater match. I started looking for data and information about Beam's parents, armed with some information I got, although very minimal. I asked Dren to go to the orphanage where Beam had been stay, looking for his former foster parents. I even asked Professor Razak to help hypnotize Beam to dig up things he can still remember from his childhood. Then, Dren said that he had found the man. He lives far outside the city, managed a small plantation after all his wealth was drained by his second and third ex-wife-after separated from Beam's mother. He lives alone, only accompanied by a guard dog."

"

How did he react after he found out about Beam's condition?" asked Phan.

"He couldn't believe it. At first he just said that he didn't have any children. My patience was really being tested against him. I really needed him, so I just kept my anger inside. He's stubborn, just like Beam."

Lam and Park looked at each other. They could not imagine, a Forth being patient with people who irritated him.

"I asked him to do a test to test the compatibility of his kidney with Beam. He was scared, but finally gave in and agreed. I think he feels guilty for neglecting and making his child suffer since childhood. I accompanied him through all the procedures and after the test results came out and I begged him again to give his kidney to Beam. Luckily, he readily agreed. He said he had thought a lot and wanted to redeem himself to Beam for not being a good father to Beam."

"What about Phi Beam's mother?" asked Wayo interrupting.

"He died three years ago, in a traffic accident."

Everyone sighed their concern.

"Forth, you go home first," said Phana then. "Kit and I will try talking to Beam again. I'm sure once he calms down he'll listen and understand."

"Be patient, Forth. This must not be easy for Beam," said Kit encouraging Forth. "You go home and rest. We'll let you know if there's anything important about Beam. For now, let Beam calm down."

Forth obeyed the words of his friends and decided to return to his apartment to rest for a while.

Ming, Park and Lam returned to the office, while Wayo, Phana, and Kit returned to Beam's room.

They found Beam lying with his eyes staring straight at the ceiling without blinking. He turned around as the three of them entered. His eyes searched for something.

"Forth is home, Beam," said Phana calmly. "He feels you don't need him anymore."

Beam looked at Phana and sighed. "Why did he do that, Pha?"

"Because he loves you so much, Beam," Kit snapped. "Forth took risks to make you better. He knew you would hate him for what he did, but he did it anyway because it was only for the best. After all, his search for your father was done after he consulted my father as well."

"I'd rather die than have his kidney in my body," Beam hissed angrily.

Phana takes his cell phone and looks at Beam angrily. "Is that so, Beam? All right, I'll ask doctor Thitipat to take back the kidney and you can be happy to see the people who love you suffer watching you die."

Beam is crying now. Phana's words were sharp and piercing, but he realized the truth, and so did Kit.

Wayo glared at Phana and rubbed Beam's shoulder. "Don't cry, Phi Beam, you're still recovering. I saw Phi Forth was very tired and sad earlier, neither should you. You two are meant to be together happily, and I'm sure, especially Phi Forth, he will want to be with you for a long time, so he made that decision, looking for your biological father to be a donor. Won't you forgive him, because he did it out of his love for you?"

"Beam, your real father may have done a lot of wrong and hurt you in the past, but now he's trying to make amends. He even asked Forth not to tell you that he was your kidney donor. He'll be moving to Africa right away after recovering from surgery and has already accepted an offer to become a volunteer there. At least you accept his good intentions even though you still hate him. He's still your real father after all," Kit said quietly. "And, Beam, your mother died three years ago in a traffic accident."

Beam's face paled at Kit's words.

Unbeknownst to them, a middle-aged man was eavesdropping on their conversation from the door of Beam's room. The man's wrinkled cheeks were wet with tears.

*****