Chapter Nineteen - Soft Days and Blissful Nights

Now that I was fully aware of my feelings towards Carter, the symptoms seemed so much more obvious to me. I felt the butterflies when he looked at me or smiled. I felt the heat when he touched me, or looked deep into my eyes. And I felt the longing feeling that I needed him when he wasn't with me.

I had left my therapists office quickly after my realization, afraid of saying anything more. 

And now, I was afraid of the word. The "L" word. It was powerful, and shouldn't be in my posession. Some real damage could be done. To someone else, or to myself.

CARTER'S POV:

It was a Friday night, and unlike most attractive guys in high school, I was home alone stuck with absolutely nothing to occupy my time.

Danny had invited me out, but I actually enjoy being home alone. Most nights were fun, I could stay up and play video games, eat most of the food and walk around in just my boxers. But tonight was going to be extra good, Payton was home alone too. I was planning on telling her how I felt tonight. Telling her that I had fallen for her so fast after I had really gotten to know her. How every time I saw her I just got this feeling in my stomach that wouldn't go away. How I was wrong about her being shallow, and how she had turned out to be one of the most fascinating people I have ever met.

And I didn't have to wait too long either, because I had just seen her parents and sisiter pull out of the driveway, and not even a whole five minutes later she was poking her pretty little head through my window.

"Come on in, babe" I say to her from my doorway.

"Babe? Since when do you call me babe?" she asks, I look over ot her and she looks flawless, as always. I look away, not wanting her to catch my blush from my slip-up of calling her babe.

"Since now" I say, looking back at her.

"Well, babe, I hope you have food. Because I am starving." she says walking past me out of my bedroom and heading downstairs. I roll my eyes and followed after her.

"You know your way around this place way too well..." I say as I watch her rumage through cabinets, finally finding what she's looking for. She takes the bag of popcorn, puts it in the mocrowave and sets it for the right time.

"Well I've been here enough times to know my way around pretty well." Payton says. She sits cross-leged on the edge of my countertop and looks at me with that same flawless, beautiful look on her face.

I go over to her and put my hands down on either side of her and look into her eyes. Heat seems to rise into her cheeks which makes he look even cuter. I search her eyes, looking for nothing in particular. She uncrosses her legs and dangles them over the edge of the counter, leaning towards me a little. I lean in a little more, and place my hand on her back, ready to kiss her, when the microwave beeps.

We both froze in place, then she slowly pulled back and slid to the side to get off the coutner and take the popcorn out of the microwave.  

"Popcorn can replace dinner, since I can cook absolutely nothing." I say, and she laughs. "But we can watch a movie if you want. They're in there." I say, pointing to the cabinet next to the TV in the living room. She nods her head and puts the popcorn into a bowl, already stuffing it into her mouth as she heads into the living room.

She puts in "Friends with Benefits," one of my moms movies, and plops herself down on the couch. I roll my eyes at the selection and then take a handful of popcorn and sit down next to her.

"This popcorn is perfect." I say, amazed that there wasn't even a hint of a burnt kernel in the mix.

"Popcorn is one of the many things I do perfectly." she looks at me, catching my eye and winks. That just turned me on even more.