7. Hell Is My Life

Chapter 7

 I woke up and grinned.  This was the most comfortable bed ever, except it probably had sperm stain and lice nits in it.  Just that one thought made me jump out of the bed and run into the bathroom to take a nice, warm shower.  When I got out of the shower, the phone was ringing loudly so I grabbed a peach colored robe, put it on, and ran out of the bathroom.  “Hello?”  I answered.

“Miss Davenport, you have a call from someone saying that she’s your mother.  Would you like to accept?”

I groaned.  “Yes, I would like to accept.”

They put me through to my mom, who was freaking out.  “Was the room okay, are you okay, did you sleep okay?  Did Lucas give you enough money? Did you get enough sleep?  Did you eat last night?  Are you okay?”

I answered all of her questions.

“Oh, and Marcus called and told me to tell you to call him.”

“Okay, mom, I will.  But I have to go now.  And… I’m sorry for what I said yesterday.  I love you, bye.”  I hung up on her before she could say anything else.

I got dressed in a pair of skinny jeans, and a loose T-shirt.  Then I called Marcus to see what he wanted.  He answered on the third ring.

“Hey, Marcus, what did you call for?”

“Why did you just up and leave?”

“I left because I wanted to see mom.  Plus, it’s not like I have school or anything.  I’m suspended.”

“You didn’t even let me say good-bye!  What if something had happened to you, Tear Drop?!”

“Jesus, Marcus.  I’m fucking sorry, okay?  You don’t have to fucking yell at me.”

“Okay, I’m sorry.  But you better come back at least a day before you suspension ends, or else.”  He warned.  I laughed.

“Alright Big Bro, I’ll come home a day before my suspension ends.  I promise.”  I told him, and he laughed.

“Alright.  Well, I’m going to go, Tear.  Love you, Lil’ Sis.”

“Love you too.”  I said, after he hung up the phone.  I called my mom, afterwards, and asked if I could come over to talk to her.  She said yes and that she would come pick me up.

I waited in the lobby of the hotel until I saw my mothers Van drive into the parking lot.  I skipped outside, and opened the car door.  She had the air conditioner or, and it felt amazing.  I didn’t know how mom could handle the heat of Florida after living in Utah.  Yeah, it’s hot in Utah, but no where near how hot it is in Florida.

We drove to her house and after I got out of the car, I saw a three foot bird crossing the road.  My eyes widened and I yelled “Mom!  There’s a bird in the middle of the road!”  It looked at me and started walking towards me.  I shrieked and ran into the house.

“Oh, God, Tear Drop.  Why are you yelling about a three foot bi- Ah!!”   She ran into the house because the bird started chasing her.

 “See!”  I told her.  “That bird is fucking scary.  Why is it even there?!”

“Because random birds walk down the road here.”

“That’s weird!”  We walked into the kitchen, where she instantly started making two sandwiches.  “So, isn’t Lucas going to be a little pissed when he sees me in his house?”

“Lucas won’t know because he isn’t here, and I’m not going to tell him.  He’s taking them out for ice cream, and then they’re going to Oceans of Fun.  They won’t be back until at least four hours.”

“Oh.”  I nodded and she went to the table with the two sandwiches.  I sat down beside her and started to grab one, when she smacked my hand away.

“What do you think you’re doing, Missy?”  She asked, giving me a weird look.

“Taking a sandwich?”

“No.  These are for me.  If you want one, you gotta make it yourself.”

I gave her an appalled look.  “How fucked up is that?!”  I laughed.

“Fine, here, have one.” She handed me a sandwich and I bit into the delicious sandwich.

“Thank you.”  She tossed me a Capri Sun, and I drank it greedily.

“So…  Just yesterday Lucas got Be Kind Rewind.  Do you want to watch it?”  Mom asked

“Isn’t that the movie with Jack Black?”  She nodded.  “Sure.”

After it was over, I was still laughing about the time that Jack Black was trying to re-do the Ghost Busters theme and got it all wrong, and the other guy was arguing with him about how it went.

“What should we watch now?”  Mom looked through the small stack of movies that were on the table.

“Forget those movies.  Do you have The Wizard of Oz?  And Pink Floyds album Dark Side Of The Moon?”

She thought for a minute.  “Yeah, I think so.  Why?”

“Go get them, along with a big C.D. player, like a boom box.”  She nodded.  She came back into the living room and sat down next to me.  “Okay.  We’re going to watch The Dark Side of Oz.”  She gave me a blank look.  “Dark Side of the Rainbow?”  She shook her head.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Damn.  Okay, Dark Side of Oz is where you listen to Dark Side of the Moon while you watch The Wizard of Oz.”

“I bet it doesn’t work.”

“It does!  I’ve done it before!”

“Were you intoxicated?”  I narrowed my eyes.

“No.  Please just trust me!”  She sighed and nodded okay.  I plugged in the Boom Box and put the c.d. in, then put the cassette in the VCR player.  On the third roar of the black and white MGMT lion, I pushed play on the boom box, and pushed repeat all.

As Dorothy was balancing on the fence, Pink Floyd sang “balancing on the biggest wave”.  Bells and chimes start ringing as it shows the Wicked Witch riding to Dorothy’s house on her bicycle.  The Great Gig in the Sky is playing when Dorothy’s house gets sucked into the tornado.  As soon as Pink Floyd’s song Money comes on, and it sings “money equals color” the screen turns to color.

After it was done, my mother’s eyes were wide.  “Oh my god, that’s amazing!  It actually works!!!”  I laughed and nodded.

We were still laughing when the front door opened and we turned to see a very pissed off Lucas, and two terrified looking kids.