26.

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX—
T H A L I A's pov

SOFT SUN THAT just barely peaked through the clouds seeped into the room. The sound of faint birds chirping filled my ears and gave the moment a peaceful sense.

My eyes slowly cracked open and I brought my hand up, rubbing onto them to brush away the tiredness from them.

I took a glance at the clock. 12:30pm. Huh, not too much of a surprise I woke up late. For, yesterday was the last day of the December month. So, as most people do on New Years, the Rodriguez's and the Bolivars had spent the day together.

I slowly sat up the from the bed, continuing to rub my eyes as I reached over to the desk and picked up the pair of glasses that were set on top.

Once slipping them on I stood up from the bed, sighing under my breathe as I stepped out of the room.

The morning, or afternoon I should say, sure was peaceful. That was until I stepped into the kitchen, getting the smell of food cooking immediately.

Usually, of course the smell wouldn't bother me, unless I was how I was a few months ago. But this was much different. My stomach turned and I almost felt.. sick?

Mom, who walked by sent me a smile. "Oh morning.. well afternoon, Lia. You want some food? I made" she paused and chef kissed. "Chorizo con huevos"

I swallowed, slowly shaking my head. "Oh.. no, no thanks"

Her face fell instantly, showing concern. I understood why though. I did have a problem months ago and I'm sure she must've thought I was back to that.

Again, I shook my head. "No, no. It's not that. It's just.. I don't know, I guess I'm not hungry"

Slowly she nodded. "Oh. Alright then.. do you uh, remember what today is?"

My brows pulled and I pondered. When a sudden memory struck, my face instantly fell, I breathed, "Dad.. it's his birthday?"

She nodded, her lips pursing. "Yeah.. it is"

My brows rose and my hands slid into my hair. "Oh.. my god. How could I forget? I'll.. I'll be back"

With that I whirled around and was about to walk off when she spoke, "Where are you going?"

I glanced back, and with a sigh replied, "I'm going to go see him, Ma?"

I turned back and walked off to the stairs. Once entering my room, I threw on a plain white tank top and pair of shorts. With a shrug, I also pulled out a soft red flannel and threw it over.

After, I headed straight to the bathroom. And once finishing getting ready I walked back to the room, only to pause when seeing Benny who was laid on the bed.

His gaze flickered from the ceiling to me and he smiled. "Oh hey"

I sighed, though cracked a smile and walked off to the closet for a pair of shoes. "Hi Benny"

It was silent for a moment and when I slipped on a pair of shoes he questioned, "What are you doing?"

I glanced back, my head slightly titling. "Oh.. well I was going to go see my dad. It's his birthday?"

His face instantly fell. "Oh"

I slowly nodded, and he continued. "Well.. you want me to come with you?"

My brows rose. "If you want?"

He nodded, a smile cracking at his lips and he slowly stood from the bed. "Yeah.. I do"

I slowly nodded and smiled, "Ok.. I'm still driving though. Alright?"

He sighed, his eyes rolling. "Fine"

The sun seemed to only hide more behind the clouds as the day went on, and surprisingly I wasn't exactly grateful for that. For it only added to the gloom, and when I walked along the concrete pathway only to meet with the black grave marker I was near already in tears.

Slowly I sat down onto the soft, freshly cut grass. And I sighed, staring at the small picture that was imprinted by his name.

Lightly chewing onto my bottom lip, I softly spoke. "Happy birthday, dad"

"You'd be 45.." My voice died down to a whisper, and I lightly smiled. "You old man"

A hand softly rubbed onto my back and I looked over, shooting a small smile towards Benny, again I whispered, "Thank you.."

His brows pulled. "For what?"

I licked my lips and shrugged. "For.. trying to get along with him. He was stubborn but.. he liked you. I know he did"

A small smile cracked at his lips, and slowly I looked back down to the grave. It fell silent and a breeze passed, causing a shiver to run down my spine, but nonetheless I remained still.

Benny, though seemingly noticed and I could feel his hand rub up and down my now bare arm, for I thought the sun would come out I took off my flannel. But it was an attempt to warm the goosebumps that grew on my skin.

Barely, just above a whisper he questioned, "Are you cold?"

I now looked at him, and when another breeze passed I slowly nodded. He nodded, now standing up and without another word he walked off back towards the car.

My eyes followed him before slowly looking back down the grave. "Thank you too dad"

I sighed before continuing. "For trying too. And approving of him.. it all meant a lot, especially now that you're.." I paused, my voice lowering. "Now that you're gone"

And though tears burned at my eyes I smiled. "I think.. he's it for me dad. I don't really see myself, with anyone else?"

I lightly laughed. "Let's hope it's the same for him.. and if not, you have my permission to haunt him.  Do it like those ghosts in the movies. Where they drag them by the feet, you know?"

I stifled a laugh and shook my head. "Just kidding, just kidding. Don't actually do that"

I sighed, my eyes now closing when feeling them began to grow teary. "I miss you dad"

My eyes opened when hearing shuffling in the grass, only to see Benny who walked back over, my red flannel in his hand.

He handed it towards me, and I smiled, slipping the flannel through my arms. Now with a smile I looked back to the grave, "Now. Let's go over what you've missed!"

sorry these chapters today haven't been all that interesting, they're more like filler chapters so.. but how are you guys doinggg?