Chapter - 4

I lay under the sheets, reading 'Angel'

Once, back in Virginia, Nicole, who was more than just a friend to me, practically a sister, recommended me to read the 'Angel Trilogy', written by L.A. Weatherly. I remember how she wouldn't shut up and kept on speaking about how well-written it is. And as I picked up my pace and read it, I couldn't agree more. It was definitely being listed under my favourite books.

Looking up from the book, my eyes rallied to look at the wall clock. It was time for me to get ready for Connor's party. I texted Ava to come to my room, so that we can get dressed together.

She wore a white top with black polka dots over it, and a black jeans. She was not a big fan of accessories, so just had a watch on. And I slid myself into a black- strap dress, reaching my knees. My thumb rings and a pendent in shape of a star, which I received from my parents on my 17th birthday.

We did not apply much make up except the eyeliner, mascara, and a light lip gloss.

"You look pretty. Trying to impress someone?", I teased Ava. And she shot me a glare. "Okay, I won't tell Connor about the tinie-tiny crush you have on him.", I continued and she continued with her death glare. After a moment we both burst into laughter and poked each other. It's fun with her, always.

We made our way out to Connor's house. The party was just like a typical high school one. Though the music was loud, but loud not enough to make my ears bleed and give me hearing impairment for a lifetime, to my relief. The lights were dark and neon with the drinks, snacks and food served on a table on one corner of the room. Majority of the kids were by the pool side, even Connor.

When we spotted Connor, and walked toward him, I realized that picking up Connor's present from my table, skipped my mind. "Hey, you go. I forgot his present in my room. I'll go get it.", I told Ava as I retreated to the exit.

"Yeah, okay. I'll be waiting.", she responded.

Just as I was going out of the main door, I collided into someone. He held me by my elbow to steady me. And it felt as if a wave of electricity shot through my veins at his touch. But I chalked it out at just being anxiety.

I looked up at him for a brief second.

"Hey, I'm sorry. You okay?", he looked at me with an apologetic look. His eyes were captivating, but barely visible in the dark surroundings.

"Yeah, It's okay. I'm fine.", I rushed past him giving him a tight-lipped smile.

On my way to my room, my mind was occupied by his thoughts. His face felt familiar. "I might have seen him somewhere while going around the town.", I told my thoughts. I grabbed Connor's gift and went back to his house.

I found Ava waiting for me. "Did you go to him?", I asked.

"Not yet. Told you, will be waiting.", Ava made an excuse as was evident with the blush she had all over her face, perfectly visible even in the dark lights.