Chapter - 27

The faces of everyone present were showing the same emotion

Confusion.

And it's not that I don't understand, because I do. I really do. It's an all-known fact that Gabriel Lee Miller doesn't do dates, let alone be in a relationship with someone. That too, with someone like me. Because you see, even though by no measure I don't think I am less than anyone else, but I am not a popular girl either.

Sure, I have friends. But I don't have admirers.

And Gabriel being with me, is a shock you don't get to witness every day.

So, this reaction from everyone is expected.

Before we could tell our friends how all of this came to be about. Samantha comes with an expression on her face that is, no doubt, different from everyone else's. You guessed right.

Jealousy.

It doesn't suit her. But I think she doesn't know that. That is why she comes charging at us and pushes me out of Gabriel's embrace. And I stagger, thanks to the element of surprise.

"What do you think you are doing with Gabriel, bitch?", she barks

"Playing hockey.", I am sure I can't sound drier even if I tried.

"Don't lie to me. I can see that's not what's going on here.", she states with a scowl that seems to be permanently etched on her face.

"Oh goody. The eyes work.", I dig at her, well because she is the one who started it by pushing me so, it's only right that I serve her right back.

"Don't you dare act smart.", she snarls as her minions, Lia and Kara stand behind her like a lost cause.

"You see, Samantha. That's the thing. I don't have to act smart. I am smart. Not sure if you understand the concept. But hey, we can always hope.", I say with a fake smile.

Her face and ears turn red either from anger or embarrassment, or maybe both. But before she could form another reply, Gabriel says, "Look Samantha. Be the mean girl or the popular girl or whatever it is you want to be, I don't give two fucks. But what I won't allow you to be is Ahana's bully. Get that straight through your head. Because this is my one and final warning. And if you tried something like this again, I will forget the fact that you are a girl." And tucks me back to his side.

His words stun everyone to silence, even Samantha. And I have to agree, even though I am in no way a damsel in distress, I find his protective side for me a little hot. Okay fine, a lot hot.

Knowing today is not her day, Samantha turns on her heels and leave the canteen with a huff, but not before throwing one last glare my way, followed by Lia and Kara.

And everyone gradually goes back to minding their own business, while we take a seat at the table, sitting side-by-side.

"Care to explain what's going on?", Liam says breaking the somewhat awkward silence,

"What's there to explain Liam? She is my girlfriend. I am her boyfriend. I suppose that's self-explanatory enough.", Gabriel replies sounding tired.

"Don't be a smartass."

At which Gabriel releases a sigh. So, to put an end to this questioning, I explain. I tell them how we kissed even before the homecoming – not the circumstance under which it happened – and how the emotions were all over the place. Obviously, leaving the bits and pieces about Cameron. I tell them how we are exploring what we have.

After listening to which they say that they are not surprised to see us end up together. Said they guessed it from the way we always looked at each other. Though I don't know if I believe them or not.

But soon enough the bell for the break to get over rings and we head to our respective classes. And I am shocked to see Gabriel when he carries my books for me to the classroom and even kisses me on the forehead, leaving tingles in its wake.

Where was he hiding his caring side all this time, I wonder.

*****

We meet up in the park after school. I wait for him as I sit on the bench and just look at the calm lake and try to calm my nerves.

While waiting, my thoughts drift to the unfortunate nightmare. I still don't know how will I be able to tell my parents about it. I can already imagine the look of hurt and pain on their faces. I know they will blame themselves for not being there for me. even though I know it wasn't their fault. It breaks my heart to know the pain I will have to cause them. Neither can I hide it from them any longer as they have started noticing changes in my behavior.

I didn't know I let a tear slip through my eyes until a hand wiped them up for me. Startled by the touch, I look up to find my protector with concern shining in his beautiful green eyes.

He slips to sit beside me on the bench and I lower my head on his shoulders as he glides his finger through my hair. We both sit, content in the silence and not feeling the need to fill it.

After a while, I speak up. "I want to lodge a complaint." And when he looks down at me without speaking anything, I take it as my cue to continue. "I want to see Cameron behind bars for what he did. I want to see him as scared as I was. I want to see nothing but fear in those monstrous eyes. I want to see him begging and pleading for mercy when no one is there to hear him. And I know I can't convict him without a solid proof. And I have a proof enough to prove him guilty. That is the reason why I went with him in that room yesterday. I wanted to record his confession.", I feel the tension filling him and his body growing stiff at my words but I continue before I lose my courage.

"And I got his confession recorded. He doesn't know that while he was very connivingly gloating about his actions, I was recording all of it. That is the only part of that horrible night which gives me relief. So, tomorrow I will go to the principal's office and tell him everything about it, as all of it happened in school premises. Both of the times." After I am done, I take a breath.

And even though I am hoping Gabriel would ridicule me for putting myself in harm's way and being so careless just to get a confession out of Cameron. What I don't account for is how he surprises me by saying something which was enough to mend my bleeding heart.

"That's my girl."

******

A/N

So, what do you think Samantha is up to? How do you feel about her?

And what do you think should be done with Cameron?

Don't forget to share your thoughts through comments. Your comments encourage me to keep writing.

Do read, vote and share the book with your friends.

Happy Reading!

xoxo