Chapter - 1

It was right before the crack of dawn

It was right before the crack of dawn. I could still see the stars and the magnificent patterns formed by them. I calmly felt the intangible air as it brushed my hair and caressed my face. I could feel the soft grass of our small, little lawn, pressing against my back as I lay inert on the ground with my eyes opening at intervals so that I don't fall asleep.

I wanted to savour every last moment I can, in this city, my home, Virginia. Because at sharp five o'clock in the morning my family and I will leave for Arlington, Texas.

"Sweetie, y'all remember, I applied for the post of Managing Director, last month in the Atlantis Corporation? So, the news is that earlier today, I received an e-mail mentioning that I've been accepted and invited to perform my duties, starting next week.", My dad's excitement filled words replayed in my mind. It was after a really long time that I saw my dad so happy, happy from within. His contentment held me back from refuting his request to move out from this city. Because I know I'll be at home wherever my family will be my side. So, I agreed to shift to Arlington without any arguments or creating a fuss.

Yet, I was a bit flustered about this decision, because I had to leave behind my friends, my school and everything. This was the hardest decision as of now. As it's not always easy to leave behind everything that matters to you and start up a new life moving on from all of it.

Ava, my younger sister, was so exhilarated to go to Arlington, that she started packing her stuff right after dad broke the news to us. She was all set for our departure.

"Darling, are you there?", mom called out for me.

"Yeah, mom."

"Come in, sweetie, I could use another pair of hands here."

"In a minute, mom.", I reverted as I got up to go in and help her out.

                                                                                              *****

As I stepped out of the house, I caught sight of the sun's rays starting to spread. Taking in all of the edges of our house, I sat into the gray SUV which my father was driving. God! I'm gonna, miss this place like nothing else.

We started our journey to our new home. The path was smooth and clear. It took us almost a day, with halting a few times for refilling the tank and grab some food, to reach our destination.

Our place was somewhat situated in the center of the city. It was a three-storey house. And had a porch with a swing on it at one corner. The house was painted blue and white from outside.

As I set foot in, I came across something different, some indescribable feeling. I wonder what it was. It was both comforting and discomforting at the same time. As if I was meant to be here but shouldn't have been.

"Hey sis, help me out here.", Ava called out to me.

"Yeah, coming.", I went back to her and helped her settle her bags in her room.