Chapter - 49

Wonder

Wonder.

Wondering is all I can do. I wonder how I will build up the courage to tell him. I wonder how I will frame coherent sentences to tell him. I wonder how he will react when I tell him that I love him. I wonder if he would even love me back.

Wonder, wonder and wonder.

I wonder when I wake up in the morning. I wonder when I shower. I wonder when I have my breakfast. I wonder so much that I can't contain the overwhelming onslaught of the feeling of love for him on me.

When I am done with my breakfast, I am suddenly engulfed in a hug from both sides by my parents. Coming out of my daze, I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "Whatt..."

It's mom who speaks first. "Happy eighteenth birthday, sweetie."

Dad follows with a kiss on my forehead. "Happiest birthday, my darling."

I giggle. "Thank you so much you both." And give them a tight hug back.

They place a small box in front of me on the table, and I look at them in confusion. "Open the box. It's your gift.", says dad wiggling his brows.

I pick it up and my eyes tear up at seeing what is inside. I pick out the platinum thumb ring encrusted with four diamonds. And I instantly know that the diamonds are four because of the number of people in our small family; my parents, Ava and I.

"The thumb ring because we all know you are obsessed with it, four diamonds for each member of our family and diamonds because you are our precious diamond.", mom explains.

"It's perfect. Thank you so much. I love it and I love you.", I tell them feeling blessed.

"And we love you. Now, go enjoy your day with your friends.", dad says playfully. I chuckle and run up the stairs to my room.

The thing is I haven't told any of my friends that it's my birthday today, not even Gabriel, because to me that seems a little awkward and I never know why. So, when I switch on my phone, I just find two messages. One is from Ava and I send her a text back, thanking her and asking her to talk soon.

The other text is from Nicole, my friend back from Virginia. I am surprised to see that she texted because we haven't talked in a while. And it makes me feel guilty that still she remembered to wish me. I send a text, thanking her and promise her to talk soon too.

Then I decide to read a novel and so, I pick one from my table and immerse myself into the fictional world as the songs play softly in my earbuds.

My phone ringing on the bed, brings me out of my book world and frowning, I look out of the window and realise I have been reading for a few hours now. Seeing the caller ID, I pick up the phone. "Hey."

"Don't hey me!", Sierra shouts on the other end of the line, enough for me to take my phone far away from my poor ears. "Start getting ready, you sloth. Or did you forget it's graduation party, today."