Chapter - 9

Whole week passed with me recovering from the injuries and attending the monthly tests

Whole week passed with me recovering from the injuries and attending the monthly tests. After I was recovered enough to practice again, I prepared myself a schedule for upcoming race. Though I still didn't get a chance to thank him about the incident and for standing up for me when he didn't need to.

"So, class I'm done with the correction of your math tests.", our math teacher starts calling out the names as I sit on edge of my seat, nervous. "Caleb. John. Georgia. Jack. Gabriel."

I watch Gabriel walking up to the teacher to collect his test and he seems satisfied as his lips curl up to form a small smirk. Oh no! I think he's got the highest again. Now, how will I get my revenge?

And then after a bunch of more students I hear my name, "Ahana". I get up and walk over with less and less confidence every second. He hands me the paper with a smile, "Nice work!"

I glance at my paper and seeing that I got full marks, I squeal without realizing, which makes everyone look at me confused. "Sorry", I say and get back to my seat. I feel Gabriel glancing over at me a number of times, maybe trying to understand what did I just do.

After giving out the rest of the papers, sir says, "Now, it's time for the Student of the Month...", and everybody turns to Gabriel assuming he is the one. "...and I'm happy to announce that", I see Gabriel almost about to stand up as the teacher creates an air of suspense, "this time it's Ahana Stokes.", and he claps with pride filling his chest.

Everyone shoots me a surprised look. I get up and stand in front of the class and the teacher rewards me with a Parker pen. But all of this was just satisfying for a few moments. Because as time passed and all the teachers declared the Student of the Month, I felt guilty.

All of it feels as if has been snatched from someone who deserved it more than me, from Gabriel. Though we both scored the same in English, it really didn't matter much. And all of this while, he gave me a cold shoulder, which felt colder than usual.

Though all of my friends and teacher congratulated me, but it didn't feel like victory, more like I cheated.

Ignoring all of these feelings, I walk up to Gabriel in the parking lot when the school gets over. "So, Gabriel how does it feel to have a taste of your own medicine?"

"You cheated. Get lost.", he retorts.

"Whatever helps you to bed tonight.", I remark without a pause and he gives me death glare. "Well, this was for what happened at Connor's party. This was my revenge, and now we are even.", and I walk away unable to meet his eyes.

All the way home I try to reason myself that I didn't do anything wrong. But why does it feel like I did?

*****

"Sweety, we'll be late today. Your mom and I have a business dinner to attend.", dad informs me as he wears his shoes to go out.