13

1/13/2021

emma sat in a hotel room in philadelphia with a blue dress laid out in front of her. she matched the dress with black heels from jimmy choo that she had bought after she signed her contract.

the brunette took a xanax and shook her hands quickly, trying to get rid of her nerves. she stood up and took off the towel she was wearing. she had showered an hour before but she couldn't bring herself to get ready. she covered her body with a regular bra and a thong, sliding the blue dress over them.

emma put on her black heels and put a black leather jacket over her bare arms. she grabbed her id lanyard and put it around her neck. she looked at the picture and her lip twitched. she hated seeing forward facing pictures of herself. she didn't think she looked good.

she grabbed her backpack and shoved her wallet, hotel key, and phone in a pocket. she put a black mask over her nose and mouth and walked out of her hotel room. her heels carried her down the hotel hall and towards the elevator. sidney was also waiting for it to reach their floor. emma looked at his suit and smiled, noticing that they were matching.

"you look nice." she leaned against the wall, watching as the elevator number increased.

"you do too. why are you out so early?"

"superstition. i have to be the third one onto the bus."

"that's new." sidney said as they stepped into the empty lift.

once the elevator doors closed, sidney pulled down his mask. he did the same to hers and pressed her against the wall. he kissed her softly and she put her arms around the back of his neck, "i missed you, sid."

"i missed you too." he kissed her again, his hands holding onto her waist.

the doors opened once it reached the ground floor and sidney backed away, putting his mask back over his nose. emma blushed, wiping her mouth and putting her mask up. they stepped out of the elevator and walked out of the hotel. emma saw that kris and geno were already on the bus and she went to stop sidney but he had already gone up the steps.

"oh no." she whispered, her heart beat picking up.

sidney realized what he had done and froze, "emma... i'm so sorry."

"it's fine. maybe if nothing else goes wrong then we'll win." emma reassured herself, even though doubt was filling her mind. she sat in the third row beside the right window and opened her bag. she took out a chunky chocolate granola bar and ate it, looking at her apple watch.

****

once the team arrived at the flyers arena, emma got off last, throwing the granola bar wrapper in the trash. she walked behind jake, letting him lead her towards the guest locker room. she walked in and dropped her bag by the cubby with her name over it. she changed into her pregame sweats and took a deep breath. she couldn't believe she was actually about to play in her first nhl game.

emma walked into the hall and saw a few of her teammates playing with a soccer ball. it went flying towards her and she panicked, jumping out of the way. "this is literally a nightmare."

"pass the ball, harvey." kris smiled and emma shook her head.

"i can't touch that. sorry."

"uh oh. we've got another crosby on our hands." kris jogged by her and grabbed the ball, "are you gonna play with us later?"

"yeah." she nodded and he grinned, going back to the group and tossing the ball to jake.

emma followed the signs to the fitness room and got onto one of the bikes, putting airpods in her ears and starting her playlist. she stayed on the bike for eleven minutes before getting off and stretching her legs. she left the room, now on her way to the kitchen.

she walked in, seeing sidney eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. she opened the fridge and grabbed a package of turkey slices. she took one out and ate it, putting the container back in the fridge. she grabbed a gatorade and drank it as she watched the toronto vs montreal game on tv.

"you nervous?" sidney spoke up after finishing his food.

"very. i'm sure i'll be fine though. almost everything has gone according to plan."