10

emma sat in an examination room with her jacket in her lap. a nurse came in with a face shield over a mask, "miss harvey?"

"that's me." emma smiled under her black mask and the nurse sat down.

"i just have a few questions for you before the doctor comes in." she typed on her computer quickly, "any allergies to medications?"

"nope." emma messed with the ring on her index finger. she didn't like going to the doctor, it made her anxiety flare up.

"are you on any meds?"

"uh yeah, i'm on one milligram of xanax twice a day. that's it though." she continued to fidget with her jewelry.

"hun, everything is ok. no need to be nervous." the nurse gave her a pity smile, "are you using any drugs, smoking, or drinking alcohol?"

"well i drink but not a lot and i don't do any drugs or nicotine."

"that's good. how about sex?"

emma blushed heavily, "uh yeah i have sex."

"multiple partners? what gender? and are you using birth control?"

"only one for the past couple of weeks. he's a guy and no, no birth control."

"would you like to talk about some options? or are you and your partner trying for a baby."

"oh absolutely not. what options do i have?" emma crossed her legs, feeling extremely uncomfortable.

"well there's daily pills, a shot, an iud, and a patch for your arm. it all depends on how often you want to take your birth control."

"how often would i need the shot?"

"every three months. does that interest you?"

"yeah. does it hurt?"

"it's not too bad. some women say it doesn't hurt while others can't sit down properly for a few hours. personally, i get the shot because it's easiest."

"how do i sign up for that?"

"we can get you down to the clinic later today if you'd like."

"wow ok."

"let me just put that in your notes real quick. back to my questions, are you feeling any abnormal pain?"

"no."

"anyone in your family have a health condition?"

"i don't think so." emma furrowed her eyebrows. she didn't really talk to her family much and she would have no idea if any of them had an illness.

"how well do you sleep?"

"pretty good. i sleep consistent hours because my psychiatrist is really adamant about it."

the nurse nodded, "it's a very important part of your mental and physical health. well, those were all of my questions! dr. vyas will be in to see you soon."

"ok. thank you." emma turned on her phone screen, seeing a bunch of instagram notifications. apparently every single player on her team that had instagram decided that they needed to follow her.

she thought about it for a minute before accepting the requests. she hadn't posted anything too personal so she didn't care that they could see all of her stuff. she followed them back and laid back on the table, listening to the buzzing of the ceiling light.

someone knocked on the door and emma sat up, "come in!"

an older man opened the door and held out his hand, "it's nice to meet you, miss harvey. you excited to get on the ice?"

"absolutely." she smiled, "only thirty more days until then."

"counting down already?"

"yup." she watched as he washed his hands.

"i'm excited for you. ever since i became the teams physician i've become a huge fan." the man took the stethoscope off of his neck, "let's get this examination started."

****

emma walked out of the ob/gyn after getting the north control shot in her ass. she got into sidney's tesla and he looked at her with a smile, "you ok?"

"i feel like i have been stabbed in the ass... so no." she took off her mask and laid it on her lap.

sidney patted her thigh, "it's worth it though, right?"

"of course." emma leaned over the center console and whispered in his ear, "anything to feel you inside of me."