1

sidney rubbed his eyes as he walked into the airport. his new roommate was on a flight that was landing at six a.m. and sidney was excited to pick her up and immediately go back to sleep.

he ordered two hot lattes from the airport starbucks and walked to the baggage claim that emma was supposed to be at. the captain sat down in front of the conveyor belts, putting the coffee carrier tray on the seat next to him.

he tapped on the arm rest, looking around the baggage claim. he saw a brunette grab three louis vuitton suitcases as she talked to someone on the phone.

the girl met sidney's eyes and smiled under her mask, heading towards him. "i gotta go, babe. text me later."

"no sign, crosby?"

he stood up and handed her a coffee, "got you a coffee instead."

"even better." she put her phone in her coat pocket and took the coffee from him, "it's nice to meet you, sidney."

"you too, emma." sidney took two of her suitcases, "let's get going. i'm going to pass out."

"yeah. i'm sorry for arriving so early. i was gonna be in chicago for a few more weeks but my manager picked the earliest flight because he hates me."

"you're from chicago?" he asked as they walked out of the airport and to his car.

"no. my friend lives there." she exaggerated the word friend, signifying sidney that she meant that they were sleeping together.

"he a blackhawk fan?" sidney unlocked his tesla, opening the trunk and putting the suitcases in. he took off his mask and took a sip of his coffee.

"i guess you could say that." she smiled, taking off her mask and getting into the car. sidney started the tesla and pulled out of the parking spot.

"well it has to be pittsburgh now. how couldn't you like your girlfriends team?" sidney felt confused, knowing that she wasn't being truthful.

"i'm not his girlfriend and it's... complicated. enough about me, what's your relationship status?" she took the beanie off of her head and smoothed out her brown hair.

"single." he frowned, staring at the road in front of him.

"hm." emma looked at him as he drove. "by the way, thanks for letting me stay with you this season. i don't really like living alone."

"no problem." sidney glanced at her, "i miss having a friend around."

"maybe we can practice together until the season starts, whenever that is." she crossed her legs, fishing her phone out of her pocket and seeing a new text. she opened it and bit her lip, reading what jon had sent her.

she texted him back, agreeing to stay at a hotel with him later that week.