2

emma walked into the kitchen the next morning, her body covered by a white tank top and jon's boxers. her bare arms showed a few small tattoos. sidney sat at the island, sipping on a coffee as he watched the news on the small flat screen tv on the wall.

he watched her bend over in front of the fridge and his heart beat raced, he knew it was inappropriate to look at her ass, especially since she was a new teammate but he couldn't tear his eyes away from her.

she grabbed a container of strawberries and looked at sidney, "can i sit on the counter?"

sidney raised an eyebrow, "sure...?"

emma hopped up and sat the strawberries beside her, opening the container and biting into one. she could feel sidney's eyes on her and she glanced back at him, expecting him to move his eyes away quickly. instead he maintained eye contact with her, "i'm surprised you're so pretty."

"because i play hockey? i could say the same thing about you." she stated and sidney blushed.

"some guys have some messed up faces from fights and being hit by pucks. you... you look perfect."

"flattery doesn't win you anything, crosby." emma hopped off of the counter and put the strawberries back into the fridge, "how'd you make your coffee?"

sidney got up and moved to the counter, opening the bread box that was in the wall. a keurig sat in the center of it, a rack of keurig cups right beside it.

"the keurig didn't fit your aesthetic?" emma laughed, "too unorganized for your standards?"

"i like to cook so it takes up too much space." he shrugged and she looked up at him with a smile.

"i like cooking too. we're gonna get along great." she put a k-cup in the keurig and put a light blue coffee cup under the spout.

"yes we are." sidney sat back down at the island and noticed emma shivering, "cold?"

"yeah. it's like twelve degrees in here. i'm gonna go put on a sweater." she left the room and sidney took a deep breath, picking up his phone and looking up her name on google.

he scrolled through the pictures until he got to something interesting. a picture of her and jonathan toews after the blackhawks won the stanley cup in 2015. that would've made emma sixteen years old. that fact made the photo extremely inappropriate because emma had hers legs wrapped around jonathan's waist as they kissed.

sidney knew it was wrong but he felt jealous of toews. if that was the guy she was talking about at the airport, that meant they had been in a relationship for five years. there was no way sidney even had a chance with her.

"by the way, have you considered, oh i don't know, heating your house?" emma came back into the kitchen and sidney hid his phone. she raised an eyebrow, "that's not suspicious or anything."

"it was a private email." sidney lied. emma knew it wasn't the truth but she dropped it.

she took her coffee cup and put an ice cube in it. "so i was thinking, what if i paid for the groceries as rent. i don't wanna live here for free."

"sounds good."

emma tied her hair back and sat down next to sidney, "you're different than i expected."

"what do you mean?"

"you don't act like you're better than me because you're my captain."

"no reason to. has that happened before?"

"well yeah. then i took his place." she smirked, "you don't mess with me."

"thanks for the warning."

emma patted his hand, "no problem." she didn't move her hand off of his. something about touching him warmed her heart. maybe it was that she was also drinking hot coffee or the fact that she always thought he was cute whenever she saw him on tv but whatever it was, she didn't mind.