Prologe, 1989: Flowers Made Of Stone

"Daniela wait!", Bela shouted and walked faster as the insects of her sister flew away. "Mother told us not to transform in this part of the castle and you know that very well!" Bela gattered the skirt of the long dress she was wearing and tried to catch up with her younger sister. It was afternoon. A very clear and beautiful afternoon. The sun was nearly defeated from the moon and his army of stars, as the sky turned into a wonderful violet. The castle seemed so peaceful in moments like this that no one would ever try to imagine what secret it was keeping.

"Daniela!", Bela shouted one last time but realised that she was already gone. She stopped running and came to a stop in one of the great salons. It was one of the places Bela liked most, because it was nothing like the rest of the old Romanian castle. It was a hall with a ceiling more than 20 meters high and with windows nearly reaching it. A calm little stream was flowing from a very special fountain which was standing in the middle of the salon. Flowers of all sorts were planted here, giving the salon more colour than she had ever seen anywhere else. Roses in red, blue, yellow and orange, Lilies in white, black and violet, exotic flowers she didn't even know the name of, exotic trees and many more.

Bela stood silent for a moment, then looked to the floor and tried not to get into a melancholic mood. She knew why Daniela was so fast, why she was even ignoring the orders of their mother. "She will learn it someday." A calm but sad voice said behind her. Surprised she turned around and looked at the fountain, standing in the centre of this huge hall. It was the most beautiful piece in here. A fountain made of marble forming all kinds of flowers with little gemstones in them. On top of the fountain the stature of a young woman was sitting. One leg was drawn near her slim body, the other was relaxed hanging off the edge as if she had just sat down to enjoy the wonderful flowers. Her hair fell down her back in light waves, her eyes were closed and her lips were forming a beautiful smile. One hand of hers was resting on her leg, the other was hanging peacefully down, holding a ruby-red rose. It was the biggest and rarest rose in this greenhouse. She was more than twice the size of her sisters in the garden and had such a unique colour. Strangely she didn't need any water and she never withered.

At the bottom of the fountain a huge woman was sitting, dressed in a white silk robe, wearing a big black sun hat. Her pale skin looked whiter and more transparent than usual, which made her red lips stand out even more. Her ebony hair was laying in antique curls and a black rose was adorning her dress. She wore no gloves this time, they were laying beside her.

Lost in her thoughts the tall lady, who was the countess of the castle, brushed with her hands softly over the ornaments of the fountain. "Mother, you are here.", Bela said softly and a little bit surprised. She knew her Mother loved this place, but she was not often here, because she would become very melancholic. Bela stepped closer to her mother. "You still miss her?", she asked, "After all those years?" Alcina sighted heavy as if she was in pain, but did not answer and turned her head in the other direction. Bela saw a single tear rolling down those white cheeks.

They listened to the sound of the water peacefully flowing through the garden and the plants. "You see...", the lady said with a quiet voice, "I doubt, I will meet anyone like her ever again." Here golden eyes looked up to the statue. A smile appeared on her ruby lips. Bela sat down to her mother. "Would it help you to tell me the story again?", she asked her mother who's smile became more calm, like she was thinking of the most beautiful memory she had. "If you want to listen...Yes it certainly would help." Bela took off her black hood, her blonde hair was falling down her back. "I am listening." The lady sat up straight and turned to her oldest daughter, a little shine shimmering in her golden eyes. "It was in a cold winter nearly 30 years ago when Daniela came to me and said that she had found a young woman in my courtyard..."