53. Warmth

A few hours later

Sadie's POV

"Such a feisty little kitten we are, doll face," he laughed, his eyes staring intensely at me with a dark glint.

My breath hitched as my eyes shot open. I looked to my side and saw that Nathan was sleeping peacefully next to me with an arm wrapped around my waist. Thank goodness I didn't wake him up.

I looked at his face, the dim moonlight hitting his features. My hard breathing immediately calmed down and my whole body relaxed into his embrace. This is the first time someone has helped me with an upcoming panic attack without even being conscious, just their presence and warm touch being enough.

A smile made its way to my face unconsciously as I thought of everything I've lived with Nathan so far. I don't think I could ever put into words how I feel when I'm with him. The way my heart beats, the knot that forms at the pit of my stomach with his touches, how my lips are constantly lifting upwards into a smile at his words and actions...

I'm not going to lie, I'm afraid that this feeling will ever disappear, because I got so used to how good it feels that I don't want it to ever end. I could just walk out and leave it all to keep my heart safe, but you know what? Maybe I'm selfish, but now that I got a taste of this all, I don't want to ever let go.

While I was lost in my circle of thoughts, I felt Nathan stir up next to me as his arm tightened around me protectively.

"Sadie? Is everything ok?" he whispered hoarsely.

"Yes, Nate. Go back to sleep," I whispered back reassuringly.

However, he must have noticed something on my tone, because the next thing he did was let go of me to turn the lamp on. I tried to hide my face on the pillows. I knew I had unconsciously let a few tears slip, so my eyes may be a bit red from crying. As if sensing something wrong, he gently pulled my face up and cupped it between his hands with a look of worry and tenderness.

"Sadie. You are not ok," he said seriously as his thumbs caressed my cheeks. "Why aren't you sleeping? Is something up?"

"I just had a bad dream," I mumbled without looking at him in the eye, ashamed of being a twenty year old complaining about nightmares like a kid. Even though it wasn't just any nightmare.

"Come here," he said softly as he opened his arms.

Not thinking twice, I wrapped my arms around his waist and snuggled my face into his chest, allowing him to wrap his strong arms around my small frame. The strong scent of his favorite cologne, which I love, immediately hit my nostrils and a soothing feeling invaded me. I smiled in content as I enjoyed the sense of comfort and safety I always felt on his arms. Oh how much I loved this man's hugs and kisses.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked me after a few seconds as he rubbed my arm up and down with his big, rough hand, planting a small kiss on top of my head right after.

"I—." I gulped down the lump on my throat. "Something happened at the club the other day," I choked out, feeling comfortable enough to speak about it with him.

The cause of my nightmares and sleepless nights wasn't that incident, it was the flashbacks it brought. However, I still didn't feel ready to talk about that, I was scared of what he would think about me once he knew. So, I decided to only tell him about what happened at E.D.A. Truth to be told, I needed to confide it to somebody. Only Mel knew, and that because she was there, but now I needed to get it out of my chest.

I readjusted myself so I could be in a more comfortable position, staring at the starry night through my window to calm myself down while Nathan's arms were still wrapped around me and my head on his chest. Meanwhile, he was sitting up, his back and leaning against the headboard.